or: "Plex @ aTV - think different..."
We all want the pleasure of Plex on the big screen - in this case driven by an AppleTV. Unfortunately there are officially no Apps allowed on AppleTV, most of the time a jailbreak is late (iOS 5.2?) or not available at all (aTV3).
For more information, like detailed Installation Guides, FAQs and similar, visit the Wiki.
How does it work?
The basic idea is, to...
- re-use an already available app (like YouTube, Vimeo, ... in this case: Apple Trailers)
- re-route the request to your local Plex Media Server
- re-work the reply to fit into AppleTV's XML communication scheme
- let iOS do the rest
- Python 2.6.x with minor issues: ElementTree doesn't support tag indices.
- Python 2.7.x recommended.
# Installation git clone https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect.git # Updating cd PlexConnect git pull
If you don't have Git, you can download ZIP file and extract files to a local directory.
- create HTTPS/SSL certificate
- install certificate to
- install certificate on aTV
See the Wiki - Install guides for additional documentation.
# Run with root privileges sudo ./PlexConnect.py
Depending on your OS, you might only need
python PlexConnect.pyor ...
- set your AppleTV's DNS address to the computer running PlexConnect
- run the Trailer App
See the Wiki - Advanced Settings for more details on configuration and advanced settings.
More detailed Information about the files
- PlexConnect.py - Main script file, invoking the DNSServer and WebServer into seperate processes.
- PlexAPI.py - Collection of Plex Media Server/MyPlex "connector functions": Auto discovery of running PMSs: Good Day Mate! // XML interface to local PMSs // MyPlex integration
- DNSServer.py - This is a small DNS server (hence the name) that is now called whenever aTV needs to resolve an internet address. To hijack the trailer App, we will intercept and re-route all queries to trailers.apple.com. Every other query will be forwarded to the next, your original DNS.
- WebServer.py - This script provides the directory content of "assets" to aTV. Additionally it will forward aTV's directory requests to PMS and provide a aTV compatible XML back. Every media (video, thumbnails...) is URL-wise connected to PMS, so aTV directly accesses the Plex database.
- XMLConverter.py - This script contains the XML adaption from Plex Media Server's response to valid aTV XML files.
- Settings.py -
Basic settings collection. Creates
Settings.cfgat first run - which may be modified externally.
- ATVSettings.py -
Handles the aTV settings like ViewModes or Transcoder options. Stores aTV settings in
- Localize.py -
Holds a couple of utility functions for text translation purposes. Uses dictionaries from
- Subtitle.py - Subtitle parser functions for PlexConnect's own renderer, converts subs to JSON for easy transfer to aTV.
License and Disclaimer
This software is open-sourced under the MIT Licence (see
license.txt for the full license).
So within some limits, you can do with the code whatever you want. However, if you like and/or want to re-use it, we really appreciate a Donation.
The software is provided as is. It might work as expected - or not. Just don't blame us.