A modern WordPress stack
Bedrock is an open source project and completely free to use.
However, the amount of effort needed to maintain and develop new features and products within the Roots ecosystem is not sustainable without proper financial backing. If you have the capability, please consider donating using the links below:
Bedrock is a modern WordPress stack that helps you get started with the best development tools and project structure.
- Better folder structure
- Dependency management with Composer
- Easy WordPress configuration with environment specific files
- Environment variables with Dotenv
- Autoloader for mu-plugins (use regular plugins as mu-plugins)
- Enhanced security (separated web root and secure passwords with wp-password-bcrypt)
- PHP >= 7.1
- Composer - Install
- Create a new project:
$ composer create-project roots/bedrock
- Update environment variables in the
.envfile. Wrap values that may contain non-alphanumeric characters with quotes, or they may be incorrectly parsed.
- Database variables
DB_NAME- Database name
DB_USER- Database user
DB_PASSWORD- Database password
DB_HOST- Database host
- Optionally, you can define
DATABASE_URLfor using a DSN instead of using the variables above (e.g.
WP_ENV- Set to environment (
WP_HOME- Full URL to WordPress home (https://example.com)
WP_SITEURL- Full URL to WordPress including subdirectory (https://example.com/wp)
- Add theme(s) in
web/app/themes/as you would for a normal WordPress site
- Set the document root on your webserver to Bedrock's
- Access WordPress admin at
Bedrock documentation is available at https://roots.io/docs/bedrock/master/installation/.
Contributions are welcome from everyone. We have contributing guidelines to help you get started.
Help support our open-source development efforts by becoming a patron.
Keep track of development and community news.