hddtools: Hydrological Data Discovery Tools
hddtools stands for Hydrological Data Discovery Tools. This R package is an open source project designed to facilitate access to a variety of online open data sources relevant for hydrologists and, in general, environmental scientists and practitioners.
This typically implies the download of a metadata catalogue, selection of information needed, a formal request for dataset(s), de-compression, conversion, manual filtering and parsing. All those operations are made more efficient by re-usable functions.
Depending on the data license, functions can provide offline and/or online modes. When redistribution is allowed, for instance, a copy of the dataset is cached within the package and updated twice a year. This is the fastest option and also allows offline use of package's functions. When re-distribution is not allowed, only online mode is provided.
Get the stable version from CRAN:
Or the development version from github using devtools:
Data sources and Functions
The package contains functions to interact with the data providers listed below. For examples of the various functionalities see the vignette.
KGClimateClass: The Koppen Climate Classification map is used for classifying the world's climates based on the annual and monthly averages of temperature and precipitation.
GRDC: The Global Runoff Data Centre (GRDC) provides datasets for all the major rivers in the world.
Data60UK: The Data60UK initiative collated datasets of areal precipitation and streamflow discharge across 61 gauging sites in England and Wales (UK).
MOPEX: This dataset contains historical hydrometeorological data and river basin characteristics for hundreds of river basins in the US.
SEPA: The Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) provides river level data for hundreds of gauging stations in the UK.
- This package and functions herein are part of an experimental open-source project. They are provided as is, without any guarantee.
- Please note that this project is released with a Contributor Code of Conduct. By participating in this project you agree to abide by its terms.
- Please report any issues or bugs.
- License: GPL-3
- This package was reviewed by Erin Le Dell and Michael Sumner for submission to ROpenSci (see review here) and the Journal of Open Source Software (see review status here).
- Get citation information for
hddtoolsin R doing
citation(package = "hddtools")