ROS2 for Rust
This is a set of projects (bindings, code generator, examples and more) that enables developers to write ROS2 applications in Rust.
The current set of features include:
- Generation of all builtin ROS types
- Support for publishers and subscriptions
- Tunable QoS settings
Lots of things!
- An ament build type for Cargo. The current examples use CMake to install and build the binaries... and it's really ugly.
- Component nodes
- Clients and services
- messages are deep-copied and this can be terribly inefficient for big messages like images; the current solution leverages C typesupport implementations and might benefits from a direct serialization/deserialization
- the current solution for crates export with CMake is not very robust
rclrsinterface is very limited for now and might not be so much idiomatic yet, any help and suggestion on the interface would be greatly appreciated
- due to the current ROS2 support of non-default clients, packages containing definitions of messages used in Rust crates must be present in the current workspace; otherwise message crates generation won't be triggered
Sounds great, how can I try this out?
You can build and run the example using the included Dockerfile:
git clone https://github.com/ros2-rust/ros2_rust.git docker build --tag ros2:rust . docker run -it --rm ros2:rust ros2 run rclrs_examples rclrs_publisher & ros2 run rclrs_examples rclrs_subscriber
Or do so manually as summarized in the steps below:
The following steps were last tested on Ubuntu 20.04.
# first, install vcstool from PyPI or apt: # sudo apt install ros-foxy-desktop ros-foxy-test-interface-files python3-vcstool libclang-dev clang # pip install vcstool mkdir -p ~/ros2_rust_ws/src/ros2-rust cd ~/ros2_rust_ws/src/ros2-rust git clone https://github.com/ros2-rust/ros2_rust.git cd ../../ vcs import src < src/ros2-rust/ros2_rust/ros2_rust_foxy.repos source /opt/ros/foxy/setup.sh colcon build
Now you can just run a bunch of examples.
Publisher and subscriber
. ./install/setup.sh ros2 run rclrs_examples rclrs_publisher
. ./install/setup.sh ros2 run rclrs_examples rclrs_subscriber