What is Fortune?
Fortune is a simple Unix program that displays a random message from a database of quotations.
$ fortune "What we see is mainly what we look for." ~Unknown
This repo contains some fortune database files, especially useful for Chinese user.
- fortunes: quotes in English, 5437 items
- chinese: quotes in Chinese, 25919 items
- tang300: poems of Tang Dynasty in Chinese, 313 items
- song100: poems of Song Dynasty in Chinese, 95 items
- diet: diet proverbs in Chinese, 123 items
First install fortune package. If your computer has already installed it, skip this step.
# Debian/Ubuntu $ sudo apt-get install fortune # Mac $ brew install fortune
Then install the repo.
# Debian/Ubuntu $ git clone email@example.com:ruanyf/fortunes.git $ sudo mv fortunes/data/* /usr/share/games/fortunes/ # Mac $ git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:ruanyf/fortunes.git $ strfile fortunes/data/fortunes $ strfile fortunes/data/chinese $ strfile fortunes/data/tang300 $ strfile fortunes/data/song100 $ strfile fortunes/data/diet $ sudo mv fortunes/data/* /usr/local/share/games/fortunes/
$ fortune [OPTIONS] [/path/to/fortunes]
- -c Show the cookie file from which the fortune came. - -f Print out the list of files which would be searched, but don't print a fortune. - -e Consider all fortune files to be of equal size.
$ fortune -c (fortunes) % "Don't waste life in doubts and fears." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
$ fortune -f 100.00% /usr/share/games/fortunes 17.21% fortunes 81.51% chinese 0.98% tang300 0.30% song100
$ fortune -e chinese fortunes # is equivalent to $ fortune 50% chinese 50% fortunes $ fortune -e chinese fortunes tang300 song100 # is equivalent to $ fortune 25% chinese 25% fortunes 25% tang300 25% song100
How to automatically launch fortune when opening a shell window
Depending on which shell you use, at the end of your
~/.zshrc file, copy the following lines into it.
echo echo "=============== Quote Of The Day ===============" echo fortune echo echo "================================================" echo
How to make your own fortune database file
(1) Write your fortune items into a file.
(2) Append a percent sign (%) after each item. The percent sign should take a new line. The following is an example.
A day for firm decisions!!!!! Or is it? % A few hours grace before the madness begins again. % A gift of a flower will soon be made to you. % A long-forgotten loved one will appear soon. Buy the negatives at any price. % A tall, dark stranger will have more fun than you.
(3) Generate the index file.
strfile -c % your-fortune-file your-fortune-file.dat
(4) Move the fortune file and its index file into