With Rails 3.1.1 changes to the asset pipeline we needed to change how to configure asset_sync.
- Rails will not load config/initializers/asset_sync.rb
- So we added an initializer to the asset_sync gem itself and tried to force the load of an initializer in
Rails.root/config/initializers/asset_sync.rb(this feels wrong and also didn't work)
- Even with :group => :assets on the initializer in asset_sync/engine, it doesn't seem to be run
Tried the following and they all work, locally and when pushed to heroku (and
heroku run rake assets:precomile is ran).
There is still a nasty error now on push to heroku because the precompile task doesn't work. Haven't checked but I'm guessing ENV variables still aren't there on push.
-----> Preparing app for Rails asset pipeline Running: rake assets:precompile /usr/local/bin/ruby /tmp/build_1ajde6o93skek/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/bin/rake assets:precompile:nondigest RAILS_ENV=production RAILS_GROUPS=assets rake aborted! Aws access key can't be blank, Aws access secret can't be blank, Aws bucket can't be blank Tasks: TOP => assets:precompile (See full trace by running task with --trace)
Also heroku doesn't seem to run the same tasks as when run from
heroku run or maybe it eschews the output of the first task.
~ $ bundle exec rake assets:precompile /usr/local/bin/ruby /app/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/bin/rake assets:precompile:all RAILS_ENV=staging RAILS_GROUPS=assets /usr/local/bin/ruby /app/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.9.1/bin/rake assets:precompile:nondigest RAILS_ENV=staging RAILS_GROUPS=assets
Not sure but this could be related.
- Purely relying on config/asset_sync.yml works fine (with hardcoded or ENV variables... as the yml file can have erb in it).
put contents of an initializer in config/application.rb
- Putting what should be generated into config/initializers directly into application.rb is actually now loaded during the
Playing around with this, we added a railtie to add a method to the Rails App config.
This now works also. Should be able to put this in the different config/environments/* files and override from there.
config.asset_sync.aws_access_key = ENV['AWS_ACCESS_KEY'] config.asset_sync.aws_access_secret = ENV['AWS_ACCESS_SECRET'] config.asset_sync.aws_bucket = ENV['AWS_BUCKET'] config.asset_sync.aws_region = "eu-west-1"