heroku create --addons heroku-postgresql:dev heroku pg:promote $(heroku pg | head -1 | cut -f2 -d" ") heroku config:add ADMIN_USERNAME=admin ADMIN_PASSWORD=password SERVE_ASSETS=1 git push heroku master heroku open
tentd-admin requires Ruby 1.9. If you don't have Ruby 1.9 you can use your operating system's package manager to install it.
The easiest way to get Ruby 1.9 on OS X is to use Homebrew.
brew install ruby
sudo apt-get install ruby1.9.1-full libxml2 libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev sudo update-alternatives --config ruby # make sure 1.9 is the default
tentd-admin requires a PostgreSQL database.
brew install postgresql createdb tent_server
Bundler is a project dependency manager for Ruby.
gem install bundler
Clone this repository, and
cd into the directory. This should start the app:
bundle install DATABASE_URL=postgres://localhost/tent_server ADMIN_USERNAME=admin ADMIN_PASSWORD=admin bundle exec puma -p 3000
If all goes well, you'll have a Tent server available at
http://localhost:3000/ and you can log into the admin
interface at http://localhost:3000/admin with the
username and password
admin. After setting up the base profile in the admin,
this should show the profile JSON:
Currently tentd-admin only implements app authentication and following creation. These are some things that could be done to improve the app:
- Add support for managing (CRUD) all of the data in Tent: profiles, followers, followings, apps, and posts.
- Add a log in the UI of API calls to tentd for easy debugging.
- Write tests and refactor the code.
- Make a pretty UI.
- Allow creation of the database and setting username/password from the UI.
- Show better app details in OAuth flow (icon, post/profile type details)
- Replace tentd database hooks with API calls
- Create an omnibus-style package that installs and configures everything needed to get started with tentd-admin.