Nuthshell: Quickest NetBox install for Demo or Production(recommended that you tweak slightly for production).
Vagrant Getting Started - Quick setup requires installing VirtualBox and Vagrant (selected your supported OS in the links below).
- VirtualBox - You can replace with other virtual platforms. See Vagrant Getting Started above.
To get NetBox up and running:
- Install Virtual Platform & Vagrant (if not installed already)
- Clone netbox-vagrant git repo
# git clone https://github.com/ryanmerolle/netbox-vagrant/ .or just download both Vagrantfile & bootstrap.sh and place in the directory you want to launch vagrant from.
- Navigate to local repo directory & start vagrant
# vagrant up
- Log into VM (optional)
# vagrant ssh
- Play with Netbox demo in browser of choice http://netbox.localhost:8080 (Admin credentials use "admin" for userid and password - can be changed & credentials do not have quotes)
- (Optional) NAPALM Config, Email Config, LDAP
The normal NetBox upgrade process can be followed using the instructions to Clone the Git Repository (latest master release).
Netbox Configuration Used
The NetBox installation process is followed leveraging:
- VM Memory: 2048 (edit Vagrantfile if you would like to change)
- VM CPUs: 1 (edit Vagrantfile if you would like to change)
- Ubuntu Xenial64 (updated)
- Python 3 (deprecated python2)
- GIT - Cloning the Netbox latest master release from github (as opposed to downloading a tar of a particular release)
- Ngnix (deprecated Apache)
- Netbox/Django superuser account is
adminwith a password
adminand an email of
firstname.lastname@example.org(can be changed after startup)
- SECRET_KEY is randomly generated using generate_secret_key.py
- Postgres DB is setup using account is "nebox" with a password "J5brHrAXFLQSif0K" and the database "netbox" using the default port (all without quotes and can be changed after startup)
- Forwarded Ports - to add additional VM access / port forwarding (ssh, remote psql, etc)
- Vagrant Credentials - to understand credentials used for vagrant / Ubuntu VM
- bootstrap.sh can be used to bootstrap any Ubuntu Xenial setup & not just Vagrant (with slight tweaking)
- Additional Support Resources include:
- NetBox Github page
- NetBox Read the Docs
- NetBox-discuss mailing list
- NAPALM Github page
- NAPALM Read the Docs
- Join the Network to Code community on Slack - Once setup join the #netbox room for help. I'm ryanmerolle & usually in this slack room.