I deleted a Jupyter notebook and when I look in my Files listing it is back again. What happened?
Things that can cause a deleted notebook to reappear:
- If a notebook is deleted while there is a tab open on it, then any action that triggers saving the notebook will bring it back.
- If a notebook is closed without halting, its python process will continue to run. That process could trigger a save of the file, bringing it back after deletion.
- If a notebook is closed and halted, reopening it by clicking in the project log will bring the file back.
How to prevent deleted notebooks from reappearing:
- After you are finished working with a notebook, click
Close and halt. This has the added benefit of freeing up memory.
- Before deleting a notebook, make sure there are no tabs open running it.