Contributing to Whose Data?
Thanks so much for your interest in contributing!
Whose Data? is an open source project that aims to make it easier for Canadians to answer key questions about who owns -- and what options we have to control -- data collected about us via common online (eg. social media platforms) and offline (eg. health records) activities.
As an open source project, we need people like you to help grow and improve. If you want it to help make it easier for Canadians to find out who owns our data, there’s something you can do to help.
First things first
Please read the README and the Code of Conduct. Maintaining a positive and supportive environment for everyone who wants to participate is absolutely essential. When you join, please respect the code of conduct in all interactions on and offline.
You should also have a look at the Project Roadmap, so you know where we're at in development.
Ok, now you're ready! Here's how you can help right now:
I have 2 minutes
- Tell us: what other companies, services, or organizations should we research?
- Tell us: what other questions about your data would you like us to research?
- Suggest changes, updates, or add information to a case Find a typo? Have a piece of info we should add?
- Contribute to the Jargon Dictionary See a term you don't know? Look it up here! Don't find it? Add it? Have experience with personal data or privacy & security? Share a definition!
- Share Whose Data? on social media - our website is whosedata.ca
I have an hour
Check out the research that has been done so far, and then...
- Open a new case: do some desk/online research about a company or organization
- Do secondary research: search online, to help find the information Whose Data? is looking for.
- Do primary research: contact an organization directly, to help find the information Whose Data? is looking for.
- Are you a policy or legal expert? Help verify an open case by reviewing and sharing feedback
- Are you a journalist or advocate? Help improve the project, by sharing your feedback
- Are you a concerned Canadian? Help improve the project, by sharing your feedback
I have a few hours a month, and experience in:
- Project management
- Volunteer recruitment/community management
- Web and/or visual design
- Data visualization
- UX or interaction design
- something else that would be useful!
I have a question, suggestion or idea!
We'd love to hear it! Head over here to share.