Novulty is a project that I started with a friend in order to address the problem of high school students underestimating the significance of their personal statement and other essays in their college applications.
This github project simply presents all the files. The purpose of this project was two-fold. First of all, I wanted to experience using GitHub to perform version control. Secondly, I wanted to get my hands dirty and create a web application in Ruby on Rails.
The latest version is definitely not final. I will continue to work on the website in the very near future, implementing new features and perhaps pivoting to turn this project into more of a business.
- HTML (of course...)
- CSS/SASS (again, of course...)
- Twitter Bootstrap
- Font Awesome
- Ruby on Rails
- Hosting under Heroku
- Caching with Dalli and Memcache
- Analytics with New Relic and Google Analytics
###Things that need to be done:
- Testing, testing, testing (see disclaimer below)
- Responsive Design (about 25% of our traffic came from Android/iOS devices, but our website doesn't scale properly)
As my first project, I didn't quite follow the best practices. That is to say that I didn't perform unit testing from the beginning (which I regret...). Now I know to do it for every project I do from now on.