Sapling started off as an internal tool/theme @Benchmark Studios for quickly bootstrapping a WordPress theme with some good sensible defaults without any style, after much searching we found Roots which had awesome features but as it was integrated with Twitter Bootstrap we found ourselves overriding a lot of the preset styles. After much stripping out and re-writing we came up with Sapling. It has gone through many iterations internally and we are now at a stage that we are happy enough with to let others have at it.
Use it, break it, pull it, hack it.
- Clone the git repo -
git clone git://github.com/samjbmason/sapling.git
- Download it
- Uses HTML5 Boilerplate markup and layout, includes .htaccess
- Clean URLs (no more
- All static theme assets are rewritten to the website root (
- Cleaner HTML output of navigation menus
- Root relative URLs
- Posts use the hNews microformat
wp_headhas been cleaned up along with the output of enqueued styles and scripts
- Robots.txt optimized for SEO
This project is open for all and always will be. Therefore if you would like to contribute please do.
- If you find a bug or would like a new feature please raise it in Issues on GitHub
- If you have some neat new code you would like to add or some bug-fix code please send a pull-request.
- Any questions or queries please feel free to drop me a message on twitter @samjbmason
- Source: https://github.com/samjbmason/sapling
- Twitter: @samjbmason
- Contributors: https://github.com/samjbmason/sapling/contributors
- HTML5 Boilerplate: The Unlicense
- Modernizr: MIT/BSD license
- jQuery: MIT/GPL license
- Normalize.css: Public Domain
- Roots: The Unlicense
The Unlicense (aka: public domain)