Watch streaming media with friends.
- Supports Chromium and Firefox browsers.
- Synchronized playback of streaming media across various websites.
- Public, private, and offline sessions.
- Support for WebRTC peer-to-peer connections.
- Real-time chat.
- Collaborative media queue.
- Timestamp cue points parsed from media description.
- Auto-fullscreen of embedded media.
- Per-user playback permissions, managed by the host.
- Basic host administrative functionality (kicking peers).
- Localization—see info on contributing.
Are you a website owner?
Easily add watch party support to your website by redirecting the user to Metastream.
<a href="https://app.getmetastream.com/?url=https://youtu.be/3bNITQR4Uso">Watch in Metastream</a>
- Add localization (#5)
- Improve networking reliability (#74)
- Port Metastream from Electron to a web app (#94)
- Improve UX and stability
- Add favorites/bookmarks (#21)
- Add playlists
- Add audio mode (#22)
Have a feature in mind? Make a request by creating a GitHub issue.
How to Contribute
Get the code
Requires Yarn for monorepo workspaces.
git clone https://github.com/samuelmaddock/metastream.git cd metastream yarn
Start the dev server
Creates a development web server accessible from http://localhost:8080
cd packages/metastream-signal-server yarn build cd ../packages/metastream-app yarn start
Build the web app
Produces the web app build which gets deployed to https://app.getmetastream.com
cd packages/metastream-app yarn build
Legacy desktop app
Metastream used to be an Electron desktop application until development was stopped due to roadblocks in acquiring a Widevine license. The latest version can be found on the GitHub releases page. Please note that the legacy app is insecure and not recommended.