Intro to Realtime
- Install Meteor and related dependencies
- Build todo app
- Deploy app to the web
- Compile application for iOS
ActionCable is a client and server side Rails library for real-time communication that combines websockets with Redis to manage resources. In a nit shell, it provides realtime application features familiar to chat, collaboration, and social applications.
- Install dependencies required to run Rails 5 ActionCable
- Demonstrate ActionCable from example app
- One Cable per session
- In Rails, sockets are called cables.
- One is opened for every session.
- Many Channels
- Each Cable may have many channels.
- A Channel is like a resource for sockets (comments, messages, location, etc.).
- Sends data through specific channels
- Puma (see "Drifting Ruby: ActionCable Screencast" for alternative)