The Utah Raster Toolkit
(and RLE graphics library)
This is the Utah Raster Toolkit distribution version 3.x plus build "modernization" and code fixes. Next release will be a bug-fix and build update maintenance release.
- Changes in maintenance release candidate 3.2_rc1: https://github.com/sarnold/urt/releases
- Autogenerated version: http://www.gentoogeek.org/urt/index.html
Other changes since version 3.0 include:
- Updates for compiler and make/build fixes
- Fixed type conflict with OS/X stack_t type
- Added PIC and shared library to the default build
- Includes all Gentoo patches applied to 3.1b-r1
Major changes from version 2.0 are detailed (as much as possible) in the CHANGES file. One change to be aware of, if you have toolkit programs of your own is that many function and data structure names have changed. See CHANGES for details.
The source-only distribution contains the following subdirectories:
cnv: File conversion directory. A collection of utilities for converting to and from the Utah RLE format. etc: Contains some other sample programs that may or may not be useful, but may be interesting to look at if you are writing RLE programs. get: Contains programs to display RLE images on various types of displays, and instructions on how to roll your own (see the README) include: Necessary ".h" files for the library and toolkit. lib: Sources for the RLE library. man: Manual pages for the library and tools. tools: Sources for the tools. tex: Source for dvi to rle conversion program. Also has dviselect program. Requires U of Maryland MC-TeX distribution (see README). img: Contains a couple of uuencoded (use uudecode to get them back) RLE files.
The FTP distribution contains the following directories, as well:
The following two directories are in urt-doc.tar.Z. doc: Contains long narrative descriptions of the RLE file format and the Toolkit. Documentation files are in Scribe ".mss" format, PostScript ".ps" form, and cleartext (".doc). A formatted version of the toolkit paper appeared in the Proceedings of the USENIX 3rd Graphics Workshop. doc/pics: Postscript form of the raster images for the toolkit paper. img: Includes some interesting RLE image files. Distributed as urt-img.tar.Z.
To make and install the toolkit, you should:
0. If you got the source-only distribution, remove all the urt.kit?? and kit*isdone files: rm urt.kit?? kit*isdone 1. Edit config/urt (I recommend making a copy and editing that instead) to reflect your site configuration. The definitions in this file should be relatively self- explanatory. See config/README for more details. If you want to understand what is going on, look at the comments in the makedef.awk script. You should also look at the other files in the config directory, as one of them may already be correct for you. All the configuration files compile as many of the conversion tools as possible for the given machine. If you don't want some of these tools, comment out the corresponding lines. 2. Configure the makefiles by running Configure config/urt If you have made a different config file, substitute its name for config/urt, of course. Once you have done this once, you can use 'make config' instead. 3a. If you have set the "RL" path in the config file to something besides "lib" (presumably the same as LIB_DEST), you must first cd lib; make install Then do 3b. 3b. Run 'make' in this directory. This will compile the library and tools you have selected. 4. Run 'make install' in this directory. Alternatively, you can combine 3a, 3b, and 4 by just running 'make install' right away.
This version of the toolkit has been successfully compiled on the following machines (with the corresponding configuration file indicated in parentheses):
Sun 3 (SunOS 4) with cc (config/sun3) and gcc Sun 4 (SunOS 4) (config/sun4) DEC 3100 (Ultrix 3.1) (config/dec) IBM RT (AIX ??) (config/ibm-rt) SGI Iris 4D (IRIX 3.2) (config/iris4d) Apollo (SR 10.2) (config/apollo) Stardent GS1000 (config/stellar) HP 9000/3xx,8xx (HP-UX 7.03) (config/hpux300 config/hpux800) Macintosh (A/UX) [note - getmac program does not work on A/UX] Macintosh (MacOS) with MPW [at least library and getmac program] Cray 2 (UNICOS) (config/cray)
If you find bugs, make improvements, write new tools or conversions, or have questions or suggestions, please send them to the address below.
If you want to write your own tool, we suggest that you start with tools/rleskel.c. This has all the right code it it for opening image files for input and output, for processing multiple images per file, error checking, etc.
Our thanks to some beta testers (and contributors):
Eric Haines, 3D Eye Gregg Townsend, CS Dept., U of Arizona John Peterson, Apple Computer
And to all of you who submitted new programs or ideas for new features, especially Craig Kolb (Yale), whose 'rayshade' program provided (indirectly) the incentive for this release.
A special thanks to Martin Friedmann, MIT Media Lab, who almost totally revamped the 'getx11' program, so that it now works correctly, and is the most featurful of all the toolkit programs.
Original core authors:
Spencer W. Thomas Rod G. Bogart James Painter John W. Peterson (http://www.saccade.com/)