Are you switching browsers often? Are you tired, that every browser uses it's own speeddial and you can't import that in your new browser? The solution: host your own speeddial with this repo! This is especially useful if you need/want to share a of bunch links with friends or colleagues.
How does it work?
Just place the folder
/htdocs on your own webserver. Make sure it supports php - this is the only requirement.
Want a demo?
Read more about it here (in german): https://saschadiercks.de/projekte/browserstartpage/
Setup your own links
The browserStartpage comes with a default list of links, to show you how it works. It shows up with a list of popular browsers and some development-ressources. You change that. Just head over to '/htdocs/data/data.json` and play with that file. You can edit the tabs and links to your own liking. Just play with it - it's quite self explanatory. All you need to do is to create images for your links and place them on your server too. Usually here '/htdocs/assets/thumbnails'
Add a hash to the url to open tabs via direct call like so:
You can just click on the desired tab and copy the url.
- call tabs via hash
- easy configurable Speeddial via json
- easily add bookmarks via json
- only requires php on your server
- uses vanillaJS
- uses apllicationCache to minimize traffic (it even works offline, after first visit)
- uses localStorage to store last opened tab
- allow theming (see Hints & Tips)
- allow onsite-editing so you don't have to fiddle with the json-file
- allow static export of content to sync via Dropbox, iCloud or wathever
Further insights (want to help building this?)
/src/manifestsVagrant is used as a local development-environment
/src/scssthe development files to build the CSS (via gulp)
/src/jsthe development JS to compile the JS (via gulp)
/htdocs/data/data.jsonfor local development
/htdocs/startpage.manifest.phpautomatic generation of application cache
/htdocs/index.phpthe speeddial itself
/htdocs/assets/csscompiled css-files (uesd live)
/htdocs/assets/jscompiled js-files (uesd live)
/htdocs/assets/thumbnailsstore your link-images here
Usage of Vagrant
- install vagrant on your machine (https://www.vagrantup.com/)
- install Virtualbox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads)
- head to your local repository an enter
- Wait a while until all components are loaded an the box is running. (The first start can take a while)
- visit (http://127.0.0.1:8080/)
Usage of gulp
- Make sure, you have node.js installed on your computer (https://nodejs.org/en/)
npm install gulp-cli -gto install gulp
npm installto install gulp in your project
gulp servestart the server for local development (localhost:8080)
gulp stopstop the server
gulp rebootrestart the server and build assets
gulp buildbefore deploying assets
Hints & Tips
- Change the Wallpaper by changing the value of variable
/data/data.json(at the top of the document)
- Do you want every link to be opened in a new tab? Change the value of
linktargetin /data/data.json to a desired value. e.g.
- if you want to change the look of the page, you can find more information in