Do you like getting an overview of news? Do you prefer timelines? With personalNews you'll get your news-sources presented as a timeline to get a quick overview of whats currently happening. It's like twitter, but for news!
How does it work?
Just place the contents of the folder
/htdocs on your own webserver. Make sure it supports php - this is the only requirement. If feeds didn't get fetched, try to modify your php.ini and allow allow_url_fopen
allow_url_fopen = true. Some providers only require to tick a checkbox allow_url_fopen in the backoffice to allow this functionality.
I build this primarily to use it in a webpanel in vivaldi. But I really like to use this app on mobile too. It gives me a quick overview of whats currently happening. I really hope you enjoy this little tool as much as I do. :)
Want a demo?
Setup your own links and blacklist-keywords
personalNews comes with a default list of links and some example keywords for blacklisting, to show you how it works. It contains a list of popular news-sites and some development-ressources. You can change that. Just head over to '/htdocs/data/data.json` and play with that file. It's quite self explanatory.
- easy to configure via json
- only requires php on your server
- uses vanillaJS (to minimize file-size)
- toggle descriptions
allow theming(done) allow blacklisting of news(done)
- grouping of related news
- allow onsite-editing so you don't have to fiddle with the json-file
Infos for local development
Usage of Vagrant
- install vagrant on your machine (https://www.vagrantup.com/)
- install Virtualbox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads)
- head to your local repository an enter
- Wait a while until all components are loaded an the box is running. (The first start can take a while)
- visit (http://127.0.0.1:8080/)
Usage of gulp
- Make sure, you have node.js installed on your computer (https://nodejs.org/en/)
npm install gulp-cli -gto install gulp
npm installto install gulp in your project
gulp sass:watchto compile SASS on the fly
- Screenshots on this page made with http://magicmockups.com/