This release fixes two regressions that appeared in 2.12.7:
- Don't reject views with result types which are TypeVars (#7295)
- Don't emit static forwarders (which simplify the use of methods in top-level objects from Java) for bridge methods (#7469)
The second fix is not binary compatible: the 2.12.8 compiler omits certain methods that are generated by earlier 2.12 compilers. However, we believe that these methods are never used and existing compiled code will continue to work. See the pull request description for more details.
Further highlights of this release:
- The license was changed to Apache v2.0 (#7314)
- Improved inference of parameter types for eta-expansion (#7340)
- Emit detailed compiler trace under
- Make the compiler output deterministic under incremental compilation (#7203)
As usual for minor releases, Scala 2.12.8 is binary compatible with the whole Scala 2.12 series.
A big thank you to everyone who's helped improve Scala by reporting bugs, improving our documentation,
spreading kindness in discussions around Scala, and submitting and reviewing pull requests! You are all magnificent.
This release was brought to you by 15 contributors, according to
git shortlog -sn --no-merges v2.12.7..v2.12.8. Thank you
Jason Zaugg, Adriaan Moors, Harrison Houghton, Miles Sabin, A. P. Marki, Janek Bogucki, Lukas Rytz, Georgi Krastev, Sujeet Kausallya Gholap, Dale Wijnand, psilospore, Mike Skells, Aaron S. Hawley, Eugene Yokota, Diego Alonso.
Scala 2.12 Notes
The release notes for Scala 2.12.0 have important information applicable to the whole 2.12 series.
Scala releases are available through a variety of channels, including (but not limited to):