This book is an open source book written for and by the Merb community.
To run the book locally, just clone this repo and start the bundled copy of Merb:
And open http://localhost:4000/ in your browser
Note that you might have to "redeploy" the native gems if the merb app server doesn't start:
$ ./bin/thor merb:gem:redeploy
A static HTML and a PDF version will soon be available online.
- Fork this project
- Modify, fix, add content
- send me a pull request
For the moment, the content of the book is located inside ./book-content/ and is organized by languages, chapters, and pages.
Chapters and pages must be lowercase and start by a digit followed by a dash and the chapter/page title without spaces or any non ascii characters.
All content files are Markdown files; the merb app uses maruku to render these files. Check the supported syntax or check ./book-content/en/1-introduction/1-ruby.markdown for a good example of how to use images, quotes, and CSS selectors.
The book supports multiple languages. Each language needs to replicate the English folder structure, using the same file names.
If you are copying a page or chapter to your language folder and want to mark a section of your text as requiring translation, just add the to-translate class to the CSS selector of your content, as shown below:
Please follow our editor guidelines, especially:
- use a language branch (so you can see what changed in the English content)
- one sentence per line (so merging is easier)
- Bosnian: http://github.com/sidonath (Damir Zekić)
- Chinese: http://github.com/zhhz (Zhonghai Zuo)
- French: http://github.com/pointcom (Mathieu Fosse)
- German: http://github.com/cypher (Markus Prinz)
- Italian: http://github.com/carlopecchia (Carlo Pecchia)
- Japanese: http://github.com/kwatch (Makoto Kuwata)
- Portuguese: http://github.com/akitaonrails (Fabio Akita)
- Russian: http://github.com/cheba (Alex Mankuta)
- Spanish: (pending)
- Dutch: http://github.com/pvelder (Peter De Velder)
- Arabic http://github.com/khelll (Khaled AlHabache)
The content of this book is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 license
The source code of the application is dual licensed under the MIT and GPL licenses: