Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Schema.org website has no favicon #548

Closed
unor opened this issue May 27, 2015 · 11 comments
Closed

Schema.org website has no favicon #548

unor opened this issue May 27, 2015 · 11 comments

Comments

@unor
Copy link
Contributor

@unor unor commented May 27, 2015

http://schema.org/ neither links to a favicon (with the icon link type) nor does it provide a favicon at /favicon.ico.

(I’m not sure, but wasn’t there a favicon some time ago?)

Proposal: Add a favicon.

It makes identifying tabs easier etc.

@danbri
Copy link
Contributor

@danbri danbri commented May 27, 2015

Yeah, I've been meaning to try downsizing http://philarcher.org/diary/2012/danbri/schema.org.png as a way of avoiding the larger, hairier problem of making a logo. At favicon scale http://philarcher.org/diary/2012/danbri/schema.org.png is basically a circle. Unless a better idea comes along...

@jvandriel
Copy link

@jvandriel jvandriel commented May 27, 2015

How about this instead: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz0mLSkD2kqjWDVsT1l3cV9ZUDQ&authuser=0

If you like it, here are some different sizes for apps as well (+ico file) as well as a text file showing what needs to be included in the :

@Dataliberate
Copy link
Contributor

@Dataliberate Dataliberate commented May 27, 2015

Or this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2064477/schemaicon.png

~Richard

On 27 May 2015, at 15:02, jvandriel <notifications@github.commailto:notifications@github.com> wrote:

How about this instead: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz0mLSkD2kqjWDVsT1l3cV9ZUDQ&authuser=0

If you like it, here are some different sizes for apps as well (+ico file) as well as a text file showing what needs to be included in the :


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHubhttps://github.com//issues/548#issuecomment-105923083.

@Aaranged
Copy link

@Aaranged Aaranged commented May 27, 2015

+1 to the "triple" from @jvandriel. Yours is obviously on-point @Dataliberate, but it renders poorly at smaller resolutions - and especially the 16x16 px resolution used by browsers:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1P5ObsnmRcSUFVJY19oWU9zN3M&authuser=0

@mfhepp
Copy link
Contributor

@mfhepp mfhepp commented May 27, 2015

I would use a very simple favicon, e.g. just a red dot. Mind trademark violations, though!


martin hepp http://www.heppnetz.de
mhepp@computer.org @mfhepp

On 27 May 2015, at 16:22, Richard Wallis notifications@github.com wrote:

Or this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2064477/schemaicon.png

~Richard

On 27 May 2015, at 15:02, jvandriel <notifications@github.commailto:notifications@github.com> wrote:

How about this instead: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz0mLSkD2kqjWDVsT1l3cV9ZUDQ&authuser=0

If you like it, here are some different sizes for apps as well (+ico file) as well as a text file showing what needs to be included in the :


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHubhttps://github.com//issues/548#issuecomment-105923083.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub.

@rvguha
Copy link
Contributor

@rvguha rvguha commented May 28, 2015

we need a community vote on this :)

guha

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Aaron Bradley notifications@github.com
wrote:

+1 to the "triple" from @jvandriel https://github.com/jvandriel. Yours
is obviously on-point @Dataliberate https://github.com/Dataliberate,
but it renders poorly at smaller resolutions - and especially the 16x16 px
resolution used by browsers:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1P5ObsnmRcSUFVJY19oWU9zN3M&authuser=0


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#548 (comment)
.

@rvguha
Copy link
Contributor

@rvguha rvguha commented May 28, 2015

my vote goes to the simple 'schema.org' on 2 lines from Richard

guha

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 8:36 PM, Guha guha@google.com wrote:

we need a community vote on this :)

guha

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Aaron Bradley notifications@github.com
wrote:

+1 to the "triple" from @jvandriel https://github.com/jvandriel. Yours
is obviously on-point @Dataliberate https://github.com/Dataliberate,
but it renders poorly at smaller resolutions - and especially the 16x16 px
resolution used by browsers:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1P5ObsnmRcSUFVJY19oWU9zN3M&authuser=0


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub
#548 (comment)
.

@mfhepp
Copy link
Contributor

@mfhepp mfhepp commented May 28, 2015

+1 to guha's vote

@rtroncy
Copy link

@rtroncy rtroncy commented May 28, 2015

My vote would also go on schema.org written on 2 lines, so the 2nd line of https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1P5ObsnmRcSUFVJY19oWU9zN3M&authuser=0

@twamarc
Copy link
Contributor

@twamarc twamarc commented May 28, 2015

It will be tricky to summarize/count the responses here. Maybe votes using google form can help

@danbri
Copy link
Contributor

@danbri danbri commented May 28, 2015

Much as I love triples (thanks @jvandriel :), I think a good part of our success comes from protecting (most :) publishers from such notions, so I lean towards the simple 2-line text option.

I'm happy to consult and debate more but to figure out the appengine implementation details and see this in context, I've committed a version of @Dataliberate's: see http://sdo-ganymede.appspot.com/Person (I haven't looked into state of the art, alternate sizes etc., just used some Web tool which resulted in: docs/favicon.ico: PNG image data, 64 x 64, 16-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced

As @Aaranged anticipates, this is going to be all but unreadable by most mortals. However it does serve the main purpose which is to have a blob of the appropriate colours visible in a browser tab. If anyone cares to set up an icon beauty/usability competition via google forms or whatever that might be fun...

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Linked pull requests

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

None yet
10 participants
You can’t perform that action at this time.