Fortran 2018 Examples
Easy examples of scientific computing with modern, powerful, easy Fortran 2018 standard. Fortran 2018 began as the TS18508 extension, formerly known as Fortran 2015.
Modern Fortran benefits from modern CMake, which supports Fortran features such as
- detecting specific support of Fortran features (so users know their compiler is too old)
Based on widespread compiler support and beneficial features, most new and upgraded Fortran programs should use at least portions of the Fortran 2008 standard.
apt install cmake gfortran
brew install gcc cmake
- Windows MSYS2:
pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc-fortran mingw-w64-x86_64-cmake
The CMake or Meson build system automatically walks through the subdirectories:
cmake -B build cmake --build build --parallel cd build ctest --output-on-failure
meson build meson test -C build
Intel oneAPI has complete Fortran 2018 support.
Each directory has its own README and examples.
- array/: Array math in modern CMake and Fortran
- block/: Highly useful
blockelement is demonstrated
- coarray: modern Fortran is the only major compiled language standard with intrinsic massively parallel arrays.
- contiguous/: Fortran 2008
contiguousarray examples, including Fortran preprocessor with modern CMake.
- git/ Git tracability
- namelist/: Fortran 90 / 2003 Namelist parsing -- native text config files for Fortran
- openmp/: OpenMP threading exmaples
- random/: random numbers with modern Fortran
- io/: modern Fortran File I/O including resolving absolute path
- real/: Numerous examples dealing with practical features of real floating point numbers, including sentinel NaN and polymorphism.
- character/: String handling is easy and performant in modern Fortran.
- standard/: advanced features that can be done with Fortran standard coding
- submodule: Fortran 2008 and CMake ≥ 3.12 enable even better large program architecture with
- system/: system (hardware) functionality accessible via Fortran
Companion libraries and examples
Fortran I 1956 manual
Fortran II 1958 manual
Fortran 66 standard
Fortran 77 langauge reference
Fortran 90 / 95 manual
- Modern Fortran Explained: Incorporating Fortran 2018. Metcalf, Reid, Cohen. 5th Ed, Nov 2018. ISBN: 978-0198811886.
- Modern Fortran: Building Efficient Parallel Applications. Milan Curcic. Feb. 2019. ISBN: 978-1617295287.