Armor Alley: Web Prototype
Code provided under the Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC 3.0) License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/
Changelog / Revision History
Big feature updates!
• Game "mostly" now works on mobile devices. Touch-based events for helicopter control, UI for helicopter weapons and inventory / ordering. Tested on iPhone X. Others should work reasonably-well. Hopefully.
• Inventory order queueing!
• Battlefield view is now bigger on screen. Stats UI is dead, long live stats.
• No sound for any Safari (desktop or mobile) for now, including version 11.0. Multiple sounds kill performance on desktop, and "auto-play" is effectively blocked on mobile. https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=116145
• New + improved helicopter machine gun sounds. 9 different samples, played at random.
• New sound effects: "bomb hatch" (helicopter bomb release), tank gunfire, bunker chain/balloon repair, helicopter gunfire hit.
• "Medals clanking" sound for bunker chain/balloon repair. (BY-NC 3.0.) https://freesound.org/people/Gareth_H/sounds/365799/
• New tank gunfire sound: "Tank Fire Mixed.wav" by Cyberkineticfilms/freesound.org (CC0, "No Rights Reserved".
• Hat tip: "Bolo" "tank self hit" sound effect, Copyright (C) Steuart Cheshire 1993. My favourite Mac game of all time.
UX / UI
• "Radar jammed" TV static-like overlay with transform sprite.
• Slightly faster helicopter bombing rate - more responsive.
• Chain refactor. Use fixed height, animate via transform, fall with gravity when balloon and/or bunker are lost.
• Balloons are yellow-ish on radar, and now transform-rotated to elliptical shapes. Bunkers / base color and border tweaks, friendly vs. enemy now look different.
• Inventory and helicopter ammo, etc., become greyed out when unaffordable / unavailable.
• Target / "tracking" animation on Smart Missile targets.
• Smart Missiles can now re-target on the next frame after the original target dies. If a new target can not be immediately acquired, the Smart Missile dies as previously.
• Radar items, clouds and some other sprites move more smoothly simply by dropping
• "C" / rubber chicken use causes UI to switch to rubber chicken mode.
• Possible bugfix: If paused and enemy order timer fires, re-start timer. This probably fixes enemy inventory building sometimes breaking.
• Jam radar all the time on hard + extreme game types.
• Note re: Firefox
will-change memory consumption warning that might show in console.
• URL feature flags:
frameRate=[60|*] for testing of
requestAnimationFrame() timing. camelCase others. Let Opera (now webkit-based) have transforms.
makeTransformSprite(), a sort of sub-sprite for CSS transform-based animations (GPU-accelerated animated .GIF alternatives.)
z-index: -1 can be harmful for performance / compositing.
• iPhone X notch handling based on orientation and whatnot.
(ISC license applies to original game images and related assets, used with permission)
Armor Alley (original MS-DOS version) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armor_alley
Copyright (c) 1990, Information Access Technologies
Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software for any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
Acknowledgements and Credits
Many thanks are due to the original game author for granting permission to use the Armor Alley images and related assets under an ISC license. http://opensource.org/licenses/ISC
As the original sound effects could not be re-licensed, modern (and higher-fidelity) sound effects were found on http://freesound.org
Thanks go to numerous individuals for making their work available. The majority of these sounds have been published under a Creative Commons Attribution license, or other as specified. Details at each link.
01587 helicopter.wav by Robinhood76
Click by lebcraftlp
Cloth Flaps by Sauron974
DarkDetonation01.wav by M-RED
Debris Sifting Dry.aif by kantouth
explosion.mp3 by sarge4267
explosion3.wav by sarge4267
explosion 4.aif by harpoyume
Gunshot 1.wav by Adam_N
GunShot.03.wav by stintx
Warfare_gunshots_machine_gun_burst_001.wav by soundscalpel.com
oddworld_bomb.wav by Oddworld
D6.wav by RealRhodesSounds
snapping-chain by CosmicEmbers
Stapler_Hands_05.wav by Simon Lacelle
static.wav by g_lowing
vhs hum by jocobzeier
Metal Click Sound by mkoenig
impact_water_splash_bomb_throw_flesh_01.wav by m_O_m
Faulty Flourescent Light Start & Hum.wav by EverydaySounds
Wilhem Scream Sample (1951)
imppact wrench bounce.wav by andrewgnau2
Socket Wrench by TheGertz
Socket Wrench by xxqmanxx
alligator wrench 01.wav by klankbeeld
Violin C-5 Pizzicato Non-Vibrato by Carlos Vaquero
Violin G-4 Pizzicato Non-Vibrato by Carlos Vaquero
Pop_9.aif by SunnySideSound
Pop SFX by runirasmussen
Crash & Glass.wav by Rock Savage
splats.wav by FreqMan
Door Closing.wav by ceberation
Metal-Clanging.mp3 by Tiger_v15
Metal_Hit_02.wav by dheming
bolo-hit-tank-self.wav (from Bolo), Copyright (C) Steuart Cheshire 1993.
A subtle tribute to my favourite Mac game of all-time, hands down. <3
Tank fire Mixed.wav by Cyberkineticfilms (CC0 License, “No Rights Reserved”)
Medals Clanking by Gareth_H (BY-NC 3.0)
Gun/Canon » Auto Assault Rifle/Gun Burst (Outdoor/Close) [Mixed] by EFlexTheSoundDesigner (BY-NC 3.0)
Gear SVG by Fabián Alexis (CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=49940470) https://github.com/fabianalexisinostroza/Antu