A collection of extensions for writing, editing, and reviewing documentation in VS Code
These are some of my favorite extensions to make docs writing easier and fun, and improves my workflow.
- Code Spell Checker - A fairly no-fuss spell checker that alerts you to misspelled words and detects camelCase code. Pretty invaluable :)
- Grammarly (unofficial) - allows you to work with Grammarly in VS Code, not for everyone but easy to disable.
- Gitlens - GitLens helps you to visualize code authorship at a glance via Git blame annotations and code lens, seamlessly navigate and explore Git repositories, gain valuable insights via powerful comparison commands, and more.
- Prettier - Never worry about formatting your code ever again, keep everything consistent with ease. My suggestion is to add
"editor.tabCompletion": true, "editor.formatOnSave": true,to your settings file in preferences.
- Formatting toggle This one is a lifesaver! I love Prettier, but there are times I'm submitting PRs to repos with different formatting rules than I have. Rather than having to either shut off Prettier entirely, update my preferences to match theirs, or submit a noisy PR, I can use this extension to toggle formatting with a quickkey and get everything in! I love it.
- Bracket Pair Colorizer - This extension allows matching brackets to be identified with colours. The user can define which characters to match, and which colours to use. Super handy!
- Bookmarks - Adds a bookmark to places you designate in your file, and allows you to quickly jump between them. Super helpful. Type
command + opt + Kto create a bookmark and
command + opt + Jto jump between them 🔖
- Jumpy - We lose a lot of time scanning with a mouse, time we can get back by using our keyboard instead. Jumpy provides fast cursor movement by giving you a couple of keys that offer a hook to get to another part of the document.
- In Bed By 7pm Syntax highlighting can be a very personal thing, so you might not want to use this, but I worked hard creating a theme you might like.
This extension is dedicated to the hardworking Netlify Documentation team