Quickly fetch your WiFi password and if needed, generate a QR code of your WiFi to allow phones to easily connect.
Works on macOS and Linux, Windows
$ python3 -m pip install --user wifi-password
$ git clone https://github.com/sdushantha/wifi-password $ cd wifi-password $ python3 setup.py install
AURInstall using the
$ sudo pamac build wifi-password
$ yay -S wifi-password
$ wifi-password --help usage: wifi_password [options] optional arguments: -h, --help show this help message and exit --show-qr, -show Show a ASCII QR code onto the terminal/console --save-qr [PATH], -save [PATH] Create the QR code and save it as an image --ssid SSID, -s SSID Specify a SSID that you have previously connected to --list, -l Lists all stored network SSID --version Show version number
Problems? Check this list
Password not found:
- Make sure your network passwords are stored correctly in NetworkManager's storage directory. This is in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/. NetworkManager can work by checking if the passwords are stored with another program, but you need to store them in this directory for this program to work.
- You probably have something broken with your WiFi storage. If not, submit an issue to this repository with information.
NetworkManager isn't installed:
- This program does not work without NetworkManager on Linux. If you want to use this program, install it using your distributions package manager or software center. Not using NetworkManager is a strange decision, but that's an issue for another time.
Have another issue?
- Open a useful issue on this GitHub, and/or suggest a new item in this list if you find a solution.
- This project is an improvement of wifi-password created by @rauchg, where I have added support for multiple platforms and have added the feature for generating QR codes.
- wifiPassword created by @ankitjain28may was frequently used as reference throughout the development of this project.