Django Smuggler is a pluggable application for Django Web Framework for you easily dump/load fixtures via the automatically-generated administration interface. Especially useful for transporting data in production for the development project and vice versa, but can also be used as a backup tool.
- Project page
Installing & Setup
Smuggler is in the Python Package Index (PyPI) and you can easily install the latest stable version of it using the tools pip or easy_install. Try:
pip install django-smuggler
Alternatively, you can install Smuggler from source code running the follow command on directory that contains the file setup.py:
python setup.py install
After installation you need configure your project to recognizes the Smuggler application adding 'smuggler' to your INSTALLED_APPS setting and setup the project URLConf like follow:
urlpatterns = patterns('', # ... (r'^admin/', include('smuggler.urls')), # put it before admin url patterns (r'^admin/', include(admin.site.urls)), )
Then try access these urls:
- /admin/load/, to load data from uploaded files or files on SMUGGLER_FIXTURE_DIR;
- /admin/dump/, to download data from whole project;
- /admin/APP_LABEL/dump/, to download data from a app;
- /admin/APP_LABEL/MODEL_LABEL/dump/, to download data from a model;
If you can access the URLs above, the application was setup correctly. Note that these URLs are accessible only by superusers.
Smuggler also provides a template to show buttons for dump and load data on change list page (change_list.html). You can setup the ModelAdmin you are interested like follow:
class ExampleAdmin(admin.ModelAdmin): change_list_template = 'smuggler/change_list.html' ...
Note: on directory "etc/sample_templates/" you have some template examples to put Smuggler's buttons on app indexes and admin index page.
Smuggler has the following settings available. You can set them in your project settings.py. If you doesn't set them it will assume the default values:
- List of models to be excluded from dump. Use the form 'app_label.ModelName'. Default: .
- Saved files will be stored on this directory. The signal smuggler.signals.save_data_on_filesystem uses this value too. Default: None.
- Format for dumped files. 'json' and 'xml' are supported. Default: 'json'.
- Indentation for dumped files. Default: 2.
Buttons on change_list.html:
Version 0.4 (in development)
- Nothing yet
Version 0.3 (2012-01-31)
- Significant bug fixes and improvements when loading and exporting data;
- Allow formats for import besides JSON and XML (aa105b3, needs documentation)
- Added Dutch translation.
Version 0.2 (2011-08-19)
- Django 1.2+ support;
- Keep uploaded files as alternative choices to import (issues #1 and #6)
- Vulnerability fixed (d73cec6);
- Added Polish, Russian, Catalan and Brazilian Portuguese translations.
Version 0.1.1 (2010-01-20)
- First stable version.
Since version 0.1
- Renamed urls from import/export to load/dump to reflect recent changes (c276b07)
If you find any problems in the code or documentation, please take 30 seconds to fill out a issue here.
The contributing with code or translation is MUCH-APPRECIATED. Feel free to fork or send patchs.
You can translate this application to your language using Transifex. Access the project page on Transifex.
See the AUTHORS file for a complete authors list of this application.
Thanks to Interaction Consortium for sponsoring the first releases of the project.
Django Smuggler is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
Django Smuggler is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Lesser General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License along with this program; see the file COPYING.LESSER. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.