Clone this wiki locally
Table of Contents
The following is serves as a guide and documentation for configuring Yahoo! YSlow. It includes an example configuration which would enable automatic execution and submission to the http://www.ShowSlow.com/ server. Be sure to enter your own ShowSlow server URL as appropriate.
- YSlow exists as a extensions/addons for multiple browsers and node.js.
- Download and install Firebug.
- For additional information and detailed documentation please see the Firebug Wiki.
- Download and install YSlow.
- For additional information and detailed documentation please review the YSlow User Guide.
- Modify the Mozilla Firefox about:config with appropriate URL attribute value as provided on the /beacon/yslow/ page (or the YSlow beacon or /configure.php of the desired private installation). The following provides a detailed advisory and instructions to do so.
!WARNING! DO NOT ENABLE THESE VARIABLES IF YOU WISH TO MAINTAIN YOUR PERSONAL PRIVACY !WARNING!
The following configuration options configure the browser transmit information via HTTP GET or POST to the specified server EVERY TIME YSlow IS RUN. This HTTP request includes the time, date, the EXACT AND COMPLETE URL (including HTTP query strings), the IP address of the browser, the hostname and other potentially identifying and personal information such as browser, version, operating system, etc. (to learn more, please read and review this Mozilla article and the Apache Custom LogFormat documentation).
You can create and configure a private ShowSlow server to limit this risk and exposure.
The following is an example configuration which would enable submission to the public ShowSlow server at http://www.ShowSlow.com/.
Instructions for enabling automatic data collection and submission (a "monitor zombie"). Some users may wish to configure private hosts to automatically collect and submit YSlow data to the configured ShowSlow server as specified in extensions.yslow.beaconUrl in the Mozilla Firefox About:config. The following includes a detailed advisory and instructions to do so.
!WARNING! THESE OPTIONS EFFECTIVELY PUBLISH THE ENTIRE BROWSER HISTORY !WARNING!
ENABLING THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS WILL CAUSE THE CONFIGURED BROWER TO AUTOMATICALLY EXECUTE A YSlow TEST AND SUBMIT THE RESULTS TO THE CONFIGURED HOST FOR EVERY PAGE VIEWED (SEE ABOVE).
The following is an example configuration which would enable automatic execution and submission to the dev.example.com YSlow server.