Learning node.js made easy. This page contains collection of curated links to blog posts, articles, videos, tutorials, books, frameworks, modules, IDEs, testing tools, hosting providers, etc. to help you learn Node.js and keep up to date.
It was just created and will be actively updated. Please fork and submit your pull-requests, if you would like to contribute. Thanks!
Similar resources in other languages
Chinese - fantastic list of Chinese resources.
Go to http://nodejs.org/, download node.js installer and follow instructions. Mac OS, Windows, and Linux are supported.
- Codecademy - JS - Good for practicing and learning syntax.
- Crockford's videos
- Yeoman - Project and modules generator
- Gulp - Task runner/build system
- Grunt - Task runner/build system
- WebStorm/PHPStorm - popular and extremely powerful IDE for coding web applications. Paid but you can get it for free , if you are an open-source developer (requierd an application approval).
- Node.js Tools for Visual Studio - see blog post from team member Scott Hanselman.
- NetBeans with Node.js plugin
- Nodejs Sublime Text 2 Package - a set of code completion, scripts and tools to work with Node.js.
- WebMatrix - is a free, lightweight, cloud-connected web development tool from Microsoft.
- CodeRunner - Mac only paid IDE.
- Komodo - full-featured IDE from ActiveState is paid but there is also lean free version Komodo Edit.
- Nide - is a web-based IDE for Node.JS that can run locally or on a remote server. Available both as a command-line tool and as a standalone Mac app.
- Nodeclipse & Enide - is free open-source IDE based on Eclipse.
- Aptana Studio
- Visual Studio Code
- Cloud9 - cloud-based IDE with native support for development of Node.js applications including debugging and other features. Note that you can also install it locally.
- Nitrous.io - is both an IDE and environment in the cloud. Has both online and desktop versions. Paid.
- Koding - offers you a free rootable VM with Node. Also you can work on the same code with your friends.
- Cloud IDE (a.k.a eXo Cloud IDE, a.k.a codenvy) - cloud development IDE and environemnt with continuous integration and other features. Offers both hosted and on-premises solutions.
- Nodejitsu - hosting, databases and private NPM. Free for Open Source.
- Heroku - Dead simple to use.
- Modulus -Scalable application platform (PaaS) for developers, offering Node.js hosting, MongoDB, and performance analytics in the cloud.
- Codio - Powerful web based IDE, free for public projects
- Digital Ocean - cloud infrastructure provider
- Node.js FUNdamentals: A Concise Overview of The Main Concepts
- Why Node.js
- Migrating to Node.js
- Official Documentation
- CommonJS Module System
- Node.js Modules Official Documentation
- Managing module dependencies
- Using Node's Event Module
- Understanding exports vs. module.exports
Node Package Manager (npm)
- What is npm?
- Introduction to npm
- Explore registered public npm modules
- How to publish your module to npm?
- Node.js tips and tricks
- Private NPM approches
- What’s New in Node.js v0.12: Debugging Clustered Apps with Node-Inspector
- Video: Debugging Node.js with node-inspector
- Using Eclipse as Node Applications Debugger
- Node js tutorial - A user ranked online tutorials site hosting many relavant free and paid tutorials to learn Node js online.
- The dead-simple step-by-step guide for front-end developers to getting up and running with node.js, express, jade, and mongodb
- Make a RESTful todo app
- Make a simple CRUD app
- How to add an API-Based CMS to NodeJS - How to integrate Storyblok, a component composer and headless CMS, to your Express.js app in a few easy steps.
- Authentication - Goes over local, facebook & twitter authentication.
- Node.js Production Practices - fantastic overview of design, deployment and debugging technics from Joyent.
- Introduction to Node.js with Ryan Dahl - Ryan Dahl is a Node.js creator. Must see.
- Alex Ford: Node.js & Express 101
- 142 conference presentation Videos from Lanyard.com
- Node.js video tutorials by Pedro Teixeira
- Collection of node.js video tutorials at vidinterest.com
- Node.js has Arrived! - In this video, Node.js core committer Bert Belder discusses some of the new features in Node v0.12 including Streams3, VM improvements, cluster round-robin, execSync and profiling APIs.
- Getting started with node.js at channel9.msdn.com -Basics of Express and Mongo -Getting Started with Sails.js -History of Node.js
- StrongLoop Talks
- Real-time Web with Node.js from codeschool.com
- Getting Started with Node.js and the NPM Package Manager from Treehouse.
- Node.js First Look(beginner) and Node.js Essential Training(advanced) at lynda.com
- Meet Node.js and Full-stack Node.js at peepcode.com
- Node.js courses at Pluralsight
- The Node Beginner Book
- The Art of Node
- Mixu's Node book
- A collection of Node.js books
- Mastering Node.js
- Node.js in Action
- Express.js Guide
- Node js The Right Way
- Learn JS
- Get Programming with Node.js
- Sinatra like:
- connect - an extensible HTTP server framework for Node.js using "plugins" known as middleware.
- express.js - a Sinatra inspired Web development framework for Node.js.
- hapi - a rich framework for building Web applications and services.
- express.io = Express + Socket.io.
- koa - an expressive middleware for Node.js using generators.
- Flatiron - framework components for Node.js and a browser.
- total.js - a Web application framework for creating rich Web sites and Web services.
- Full stack:
- meteor.js - Meteor is an ultra-simple environment for building modern Web applications. Built using Node.js, Meteor is a framework on its own. Please see an amazing list of Meteor resources for more information.
- Derby - the MVC framework making it easy to write realtime, collaborative applications that run in both Node.js and browsers.
- SocketStream - A fast, modular Node.js Web framework dedicated to building realtime single-page applications.
Static Site Generators
- Hexo - fast, simple & powerful blog framework.
- Metalsmith - extremely simple, pluggable static site generator.
- Harp - static web server with built-in preprocessing.
- Assemble - static site generator for Grunt.js, Yeoman and Node.js.
- Wheat - a blog engine for coders written in node.JS.
- Punch - a fun and easy way to build modern websites.
- Blacksmith - generic static site generator built using flatiron, plates, and marked.
- Poet - a node.js blog engine.
See extensive collection of Static Site Generators including other languages at http://www.staticgen.com/
- socket.io - a realtime application framework for Node.JS, with HTML5 WebSockets and cross-browser fallbacks support.
- mongoose - MongoDB object modeling designed to work in an asynchronous environment.
- winston - a multi-transport asynchronous logging library for Node.js
- passport - simple, unobtrusive authentication for Node.js.
- async - asynchronous utilities for Node and the browser.
- co - the ultimate generator based flow-control goodness for nodejs;
- jade - Jade - a robust, elegant, feature-rich template engine for Node.js.
- lodash - a utility library delivering consistency, customization, performance, and extras.
- request - a simplified HTTP request client.
- config - a runtime configuration for Node.js. modules.
Authentication and Security
- Passport - simple, unobtrusive authentication for Node.js that supports OpenID and OAuth.
Read about various approaches to testing Node.js code:
- Testing in Node.js
- Testing NodeJS with Mocha, Should, Sinon, and JSCoverage
- Setting up Mocha and JSCoverage
- Acceptance testing with supertest
- Testing node.js applications with Jasmine
- Mocking Dependencies using [rewire]
- Unit Testing and TDD in Node.js – Part 1, Part 2
Some popular testing frameworks:
- jasmin-node - integration of the Jasmine Spec framework with Node.js.
- chai - a BDD / TDD assertion framework for Node.js and a browser.
- supertest - a super-agent driven library for testing Node.js HTTP servers using a fluent API.
- rewire - a dependency injection for Node.js applications.
- node-jscoverage - JSCoverage for Node.js.
Keep up to date
What To Read
- Google Node.js Group
- Google+ Node.js Community
- CNode - Node.js professional Chinese community
- Node.js on Reddit
- Stackoverflow Node.js tag
- IRC - For real-time chat about Node development go to irc.freenode.net in the #node.js channel with an IRC client or connect in your web browser to the channel using freenode's WebChat.
- "How To Node" blog
- Node.js Weekly - an email list that gathers up the latest events and news from around the Node.js community.
- NodeUp - a podcast covering the latest Node news in the community.
Who to Follow
- TJ Holowachuk - express, Jade, Mocha, Stylus
- Isaac Z. Schlueter - maintainer of Node.js / NPM
- Mikeal Rogers - Request
- James Haliday "substack" - Browserify, dnode, Optimist
- Guillermo Rauch - Socket.IO
You can find the most famous Node.js developer at Nodemavens.
Inspired by amazing AngularJS-Learning
(The MIT License)
Copyright (c) 2014 Sergey Titov
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the 'Software'), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED 'AS IS', WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.