Join GitHub today
Meeting 2015 11 30
- Brainstorm ideas for the workweek (larsberg)
- DESTROY ALL INTERMITTENTS; Browser.html polish; alpha Android release hacking; GH issue backlog triage; rebase and merge abandoned PRs; ...
- NCSU deadlines: Dec 4 is pencils-down, Dec 14th is expected window for addressing review comments. (jdm)
- crate squatting (jack) https://github.com/servo/rust-layers/issues/217#issuecomment-160684294
- PR queue is >80 again, almost 50% reviewable (ie. S-awaiting-review) (jdm)
- jack, simonsapin, larsberg, ajeffrey, mbrubeck, manish, fewsxcv, edunham, pcwalton
Regrets: Ms2ger, jdm
- Team updates: http://statusupdates.dev.mozaws.net/project/servo
Brainstorm ideas for the workweek
- jack: I'm fond of destroying the intermittents!
- larsberg: I suspect there are only three or so
- pcwalton: ipc-channel improved failure messages?
- larsberg: I think that plus the error reporting one would be good. I think ipc-channel gets a lot of blame due to chain-panic thread failures.
- jack: Now have a version of the runtime that launches Servo, via ms2ger!
- simonsapin: What's the runtime?
- jack: browser.html requires something that isn't a browser to start from. It's just a mozjs shell. The first bit of it is support for the CEF API in JS, so that the JS code can launch a browser window. Can also be used to build apps that aren't browsers (e.g., commandline apps). We'll see where it goes. We have a first version and now are waiting for feedback from paul. Most of the blockers in terms of Servo layout bugs are either fixed or in-queue.
- jack: Does anybody have other ideas/opinions?
- manish: nox is saying the issue backlog is causing people to wonder how we feel about it.
- jack: I think until we destroy intermittents, the PR log is going to stay long. After the intermittents, we can help with rebases, etc.
- jack: Maybe land sandboxing?
- pcwalton: There's some work needed on OSX, but it's landed.
- jack: Could probably test all platforms in mozlando. I'd like to come up with a 2016 testing plan, too. What do we want to do? Need jgraham there (webdriver support, etc.). Also mochitests and bholley. See what we need to do to get servo well-tested. Fact that there are no cookie tests is a bit scary! Breaking cookies and having nothing catch it in WPT is scary.
- manish: I think in the last few months started doing work on areas that don't have WPT tests. We're hitting a limit in some areas where we are missing tests.
- jack: So far, we've been relying on WPT. Unless we start budgeting time to write new WPT tests, we won't remember to do it. In the initial 2016 CTO office roadmap planning, I did propose having a full-time person to work on testing stuff... btw, 2016 plans should be finalized after the workweek.
- jack: I assume jdm will want help reviewing them. Dec. 4 is code complete; Dec. 14 is the landing time. May want to do some of these on the workweek.
- jdm: Please keep in mind that reviews/answers for NCSU work should be performed ASAP to maximize chance of usable, valuable contributions from students.
- jack: jdm may pick reviewers and push them around.
- simonsapin: Do we wait for students to address the issues in the review?
- jack: Yes, but they have to be addressed by Dec. 14.
- manishearth: Is merging a requirement for the course?
- jack: I think not (it wasn't in the past); they had to get a PR opened. Extra credit before December 4th. We've had trouble in the past with not helping the NCSU students land their PRs during that last push window.
- jack: We lost the skia crate! Somebody took it. So now we're stuck as servo-skia. Simon registered all the stuff that we were not already using.
- simonsapin: I sent some e-mails to the person who took the skia crate name, but they aren't spending any time on it and want PNACL support, which we don't have.
- jack: Compile skia with PNACL? I talked to them back when that team still existed, and they weren't planning to support something like skia, even before that team got killed.
- pcwalton: Maybe it's about pepperGL instead?
- simonsapin: The person said there's a bunch of llvm, rustc, etc. stuff to do.
- jack: I'll try to figure out from my google contacts if PNACL is still under any active development, particularly towards supporting skia.
- jack: There's a list of crates not owned by us that are either being squatted or that have some other implementation. Maybe open a metabug and start tracking these down? Kinda bad to have
fooin the servo GH org. Also, if you create a new crate, SQUAT IMMEDIATELY!
- simonsapin: Also don't forget to add the github team as an owner so that other people can publish updates. Run
cargo owner -a github:servo:cargo-publish
PR queue is > 80 again
- jack: Lots are in a reviewable state; please get on these! If you have time, pick up stuff that doesn't have a review. Might be hard before we have intermittents solved.
Clone this wiki locally
Press h to open a hovercard with more details.