M Web Server
This source tree represents a web (HTTP) server implemented in the M language.
The MUMPS Advanced Shell MUMPS Web Server (MWS) provides for a way to serve web services from the MUMPS Database. It does that by mapping URLs to MUMPS procedures that retrieve or save the data depending on the request. The mapping is dynamic and depends on a Fileman-compatible file which allows you to configure security on each web service. The MUMPS Web Server is independent of VISTA and does not need any part of VISTA in order to run--not even Fileman.
MWS provides the following features:
- It is completely stateless.
- It runs plain RESTful web services rather than implementing a custom protocol.
- It does not introduce any new data structures. Fileman data structures are used as the source of truth.
- It fully supports JSON out of the box; XML is also supported.
- It provides Meaningful URLs to VISTA data to make it easy to program against VISTA.
- It is integrated with VISTA's security primitives.
- It is simple to deploy.
This project aims to provide standardized and easy to deploy RESTful web services from M and from VISTA. The software can also serve file-system based resources that can take advantage of the web services.
See M-Restful-Services-White-Paper.md for more information.
Install & Dependencies
See the doc folder.
To make a new version, see doc/packaging.md.
To set-up TLS, see doc/tls-setup.md.
There are extensive unit tests covering 80% of the code.
A lot of work needs to be put it to make this software more user friendly.
A list of issues can be found here.
The code does not pass XINDEX checks due to its extensive use of OS specific calls. It should be treated as a vendor utility for the purposes of SAC Compliance.