Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Shadowsocks for iOS
Notice: This version is deprecated. Please wait for iOS 9's new VPN API
Shadowsocks is a cross-platform tunnel proxy which can help you get through firewalls.
This iOS version is for non-jailbroken devices. It has two features.
- A web browser with all the traffic going through a Shadowsocks proxy
- A background global proxy, with some restrictions
Please visit the App Store.
As a web browser
Shadowsocks works as a multi-tab web browser. It's really easy to use.
- Tap the + button to open menu.
- Tap Settings to configure Shadowsocks proxy settings.
- Tap New Tab to open a new Tab. Tap URL field on the top to input URL.
- Swipe a tab to scroll the tabs. Hold and press a tab to swap tabs.
- If you've changed Proxy Mode, a restart is needed to take effect. (Kill the app, then open the app again).
As a global proxy
Shadowsocks works as a background global PAC proxy, with some restrictions.
- Only works with Wi-Fi network. But we are working on the cellular network.
- Only works for a few minutes. Due to iOS restrictions, Shadowsocks can't keep running in the background. It's killed after you leave it for a while. To keep it running for an extended period of time, you have to come back to the Shadowsocks app every few minutes.
So it's a little tricky to use global proxy.
- Set up proxy settings in shadowsocks.
- Copy this link http://127.0.0.1:8090/proxy.pac
- Open iOS Settings -> Wi-Fi ->
iicon on the right of your connected Wi-Fi -> HTTP Proxy. Choose Auto, paste the link in the URL field. Tap back.
- Other apps now go through the proxy. If they don't, kill and restart them.
- Come back every few minutes to keep Shadowsocks running in the background.
Still need help?
Mailing list: http://groups.google.com/group/shadowsocks