Higgins Armory Catalog
A searchable, online catalog for the Higgins Armory Museum. The Higgins Armory collection of 4,000 or so artifact is one of the few signifiant collections of medieval arms and armor outside of Europe.
- Artifact of the Day
- Search by keyword, location, accession_number
- Filter and brwose by date
This application was initially built in 48 hours for the 2012 Rails Rumble.
- Ruby 1.9.3
- Rails 3.2
- Elastic Search
- PostgreSql (though it should also run fine on MySql and SqlLite)
Setting up in OS X
- Download and install VirtualBox (
- Download and install Vagrant (
- Git clone this repo into a new project directory
- Get zip file with csv data
- Unzip into db/higgins_data in your project directory
- Get the zip file with the object photos in it.
- Unzip that into the db/higgins_data directory
Starting the app
- Copy config/application.yml.sample to config/application.yml
- Get SMTP and Akismet authentication and add to file -- secrets will be taken care of later
- In your vagrant shell
rake secretto create the SESSION_SECRET and add to application.yml
rake secretto create the DEVISE_SECRET and add to application.yml
- Go to
http://localhost:3000in your browser
If you wish to contribute to this project, or use it in another setting your best bet is probably to contact me first, to discuss your idea.