A text-based HTTP client, by Shri. Available at prestige.dev.
Under all the abstractions, it's just stardust interacting with text.
This is a powerful, text-based, in-browser, HTTP client app geared towards web developers and API testing professionals.
Check out the User Guide to learn how Prestige can be a powerful addition to your toolset.
Discussion on Hacker News. Join us on Discord.
If you face any problems or have a suggestion, please reach out on Discord, or create an issue.
- Define requests in plain text, hit
Cmd+Enter) to execute and view results.
- Shows all responses in a redirect chain, if request redirects.
- Save your Prestige documents to Gist.
- Export requests as cURL commands. Please open an issue if you'd like to see more export formats.
- Isolated cookie management.
- Uploading files to APIs is as simple as drag-dropping the file and calling a function.
- Light and dark modes, for multiple themes.
Please ensure you have NodeJS (with yarn) and Go, of versions as specified in
.tool-versions file, before trying the
following commands. I recommend using
asdf-vm for this, which integrates with the
.tool-versions file. So, if you
asdf already setup, you can just do
asdf install in this repo, and you'll have the correct versions of NodeJS
The project contains a
manage.sh script that makes development a little easier.
./manage.sh serve-frontend— Start frontend Parcel server. This supports full auto-reload.
./manage.sh serve-backend— Start backend server. This doesn't auto-reload when code changes.
./manage.sh serve-docs— Start docs server. This supports auto-reload only for content pages.
./manage.sh test-*— Test frontend/backend/ui (depending on what's in place of
./manage.sh build-*— Build frontend/backend/docs (depending on what's in place of
Run the serve commands in parallel, then open http://localhost:3040.
- HTTP Client for Sublime Text: Requester.
- HTTP Client for VS Code: vscode-restclient.
- REST Client for IntelliJ based IDEs: JetBrains HTTP Client.
- My own Vim extension towards a very similar concept: roast.vim.
Some public APIs to play with
- httpbun.com — Great for meta-testing and JSON/form-data related experiments. Another project by @sharat87.
- A collective list of free APIs for use in software and web development.
- Yahoo Finance stock prices API — Great for large text responses and CSV data.
- GitHub GraphQL API — Great for experimenting with GraphQL, but requires a personal auth token.
- A Curated List of 100 Cool and Fun Public APIs to Inspire Your Next Project
- Postman's collection
- Close gaps in documentation, finish API Reference and link all mentions of API functions to this page.
- A desktop app with NeutralinoJS or some other such technology.
- A browser extension that, when installed, would make it so that we don't need the proxy anymore.
- A Dockerfile for quickly running a self-hosted instance of Prestige with Docker.
- Ability to open/edit documents from GitHub repos, Google Drive and Dropbox.
- Rich editor features like auto-complete, JSON editing help, hotkeys to start new GET/POST/etc. request, snippets etc.
Contributions (code, tests, docs) are welcome, but if it's even slightly non-trivial or more than a few lines of changes, I'd appreciate it if you opened an issue to discuss before working towards a PR. Among other things, this can help avoid overlaps where we're both working on the same thing, and we realize it only after you open a PR.
Apache-2.0. Project includes a NOTICE file.