Simulator Status Magic
Modify the iOS Simulator so that it has a perfect status bar, then run your app and take perfect screenshots every time. The modifications made are designed to match the images you see on the Apple site and are as follows:
- 9:41 AM is displayed for the time.
- The battery is full and shows 100%.
- On iPhone: The carrier text is removed, 5 bars of cellular signal and full WiFi bars are displayed.
- On iPad: The carrier text is set to "iPad" and full WiFi bars are displayed.
How do I use it?
- Clone this repository.
- Open SimulatorStatusMagic.xcodeproj with Xcode 6 (or above).
- Run the app target
SimulatorStatusMagiciOS) on whichever simulator type you would like to modify (it works with every device).
- Once the app launches, press the only button on the screen :)
- That's it, you're done! Now just run your app and take screenshots.
How do I remove the customisations?
Run the app again and click "Restore Default Status Bar". Resetting the iOS Simulator using the normal menu option also works.
I have a script to take my screenshots, can I automate this?
It is recommended to only include
SDStatusBarManager in your debug configuration so that the code is never included in release builds. Then, when you want to apply a perfect status bar, call
[[SDStatusBarManager sharedInstance] enableOverrides]. To restore the standard status bar, call
[[SDStatusBarManager sharedInstance] disableOverrides].
What about automation of the sample app?
If you'd prefer to automate the app itself to automatically enable or disable the overrides, this can be done with environment variables.
SIMULATOR_STATUS_MAGIC_OVERRIDES = enable
SIMULATOR_STATUS_MAGIC_OVERRIDES = disable
The overrides will be automatically enabled or disabled on launch.
Does this work on device?
No. The status bar server is blocked on devices. However, this post contains more information on taking perfect screenshots on real devices.
How does this work?
The best idea is to check the source code which should get you started with how it works :)
We'd love contributions and even have some suggestions for things that might need working on:
- Found a bug? If you report it with a pull request attached then you get a gold star :)
Non-English language support. We'd love it to work with more languages.Now works with every language!
However, the scope of this project is intentionally limited. We're not planning to add options to this to allow ultimate customisation of the status bar. It's intended to do just one job really well, change the status bar to match Apple's marketing materials. Things like custom carrier text are probably out of scope.