Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 31 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Roadmap Shogun 2015 hack
Shogun hack 2015 Ideas
This is a list of topics to address when all Shogun developers get together. We aim to have a structured list of items, with links to existing or newly created github issues. Feel free to merge this with content from the other Wiki pages or discussions.
- A meta-langauge for Shogun example: #2508.
- Website updates (Kevin had some ideas?)
- Developer information (wiki or website?) #2533
- Manifest "What is Shogun? What tries Shogun to be?"
- Notebooks of things that are not yet covered
- Binary packages for various OS
- Ubuntu LTS #2520
- OSX #2521
- Improve [Shogun development guidelines](Shogun development guidelines)
- Scheduling a separate release for "easier installation": packages and scripts for Ubuntu/Debian/MacOSC https://github.com/shogun-toolbox/shogun/milestones/Shogun%203.4.1
Efficiency & Clean-ups
- Efficient and flexible data structure for n-dimensional array #2123 #2530
- Modularise Shogun to reduce compile memory requirements #2437 (some prototype is https://github.com/lisitsyn/aer)
- Serialisation via external library (Viktor?)
- General polishing of base classes #2113(Thoralf?)
- DPointers (again https://github.com/lisitsyn/aer)
- Parallelism backend interface
- Batch cluster backend (PBS/SGE,SLURM,etc) #1622
- Pthread/openMP backend #1623
- Director classes to use Shogun as scheduler from modular interface #1624
- Add dependencies between jobs #2524
- Graphlab backend #2525
- Zookeeper coordination?
- Populate internal Linear algebra interface
- Add matrix factorisations #2526
- Add linear solves #2527
- Stan for autodiff and MCMC #1875 #1998 #1929
- Vowpal Wabbit update
SHOGUN goes large-scale
- Investigate how non-toy examples scale in SHOGUN.
- Increase awareness of benchmarking and profiling:
- Identify hotspots using selected examples and right tools (gprof?).
- Create minimal example(s!) which covers hotspot and benchmark.
- Start optimizing minimal example(s!) and benchmark again.
- Developers should know how to benchmark and profile: Small document to describe this?
- If you know examples that scale better in other frameworks, please document them here, so we can investigate:
- Better support of sparse-datastructures and online-algorithms.
- Interface with MOE for better model selection