Terraform enables you to safely and predictably create, change, and improve production infrastructure. It is an open source tool that codifies APIs into declarative configuration files that can be shared amongst team members, treated as code, edited, reviewed, and versioned.
- Official Resources
- Tutorials and Blog Posts
- Community Modules
- Private Module Registries
- Terraform Enterprise
- Editor Plugins
- Terraform Google Group
- Terraform Gitter
- Terraform Bug Tracker
- Terraform Community Modules
- Terraform Module Registry
- Terraform PDF Doc
- Terraform: Up & Running
- The Terraform Book
- Getting Started with Terraform, 2nd ed.
- Infrastructure as Code
Tutorials and Blog Posts
- A Comprehensive Guide to Terraform - Series of blog posts from the author of "Terraform: Up & Running" that guide the reader from beginning with Terraform to using it in the real world.
- Bootstrapping Docker Infrastructure With Terraform - Walkthrough of deploying a dockerized app on ECS using Terraform.
- Deploying Discourse with Terraform - Shows how Terraform can create a running instance of Discourse on DigitalOcean in one command.
- Easily Deploy A Seneca Microservice to ECS with Wercker and Terraform: Part I, II & III - Illustrates how Terraform can be incorporated into a microservice deployment pipeline.
- Getting Started with Kitchen-Terraform
- Sharing data between Terraform configurations - Illustrates how to use remote state to share data between Terraform configurations.
- Terraform, VPC, and why you want a tfstate file per env - Some gotchas surrounding using Terraform in large projects with multiple environments and how to avoid them.
- Terraform: Beyond the Basics with AWS - Explanation of a demo using Terraform to provision a sample AWS architecture.
- Terraforming 1Password - How 1Password migrated from CloudFormation to Terraform.
- The Segment AWS Stack - Shows the behind the scenes of the infrastructure powered by Terraform that solved The Million Dollar Engineering Problem at Segment.
- Top 3 Terraform Testing Strategies for Ultra-Reliable Infrastructure-as-Code
- Tutorial: How to Use Terraform to Deploy OpenStack Workloads - Illustrates how easy it is to use the OpenStack Terraform provider to deploy a web server.
- Two Weeks with Terraform - Some hard-earned experience from using Terraform in the wild, and some operational wisdom.
- Using Pipelines to Manage Environments with Infrastructure as Code - Explains different approaches for building a pipeline to handle infrastructure changes moving from one environment to the next.
- Using Terraform for Cloud Deployments - Part 1 - Beginner tutorial with a focus on using Terraform to provision an EC2 instance.
For more Community Modules not listed here please see the Terraform Module Registry.
- rancher-terraform-digitalocean - Rancher server on digitalocean.
- segmentio/stack - Configures production infrastructure with AWS, Docker, and ECS.
- terraform-aws-ecr - Manages Docker container registries on AWS ECR.
- terraform-aws-efs - Defines an EFS Filesystem.
- terraform-aws-jenkins - Build a Docker image with Jenkins, saves it to an ECR repo, and deploys it to Elastic Beanstalk running a Docker stack.
- terraform-aws-key-pair - Automatically Generate SSH Key Pairs (Public/Private Keys).
- terraform-aws-postgresql-rds - Creates PostgreSQL on RDS.
- terraform-aws-secure-baseline - Set up your AWS account with the secure baseline configuration based on CIS Amazon Web Services Foundations.
- terraform-aws-ssh-bastion-service - Terraform plan to deploy ssh bastion as a stateless service on AWS
- terraform-ecs-jenkins - Provisions Jenkins on AWS ECS using Terraform.
- terraform-google-project-factory - Opinionated Google Cloud Platform project creation and configuration with Shared VPC, IAM, APIs, etc.
- terraform-static-website-s3-cloudfront - Creates static websites on AWS S3 & Cloudfront based on variables.
- tf_aws_asg_elb - Creates Auto-Scaling Groups and Launch Configurations for use with an Elastic Load Balancer.
- tf_aws_availability_zones_cfn - Gets availability zones for your AWS region/account from Cloudformation.
- tf_aws_bastion_s3_keys - Creates bastion hosts on AWS EC2.
- tf_aws_coreos_ami - Easy way to lookup CoreOS AMIs with terraform.
- tf_aws_nat - NAT instances for AWS.
- tf_aws_private_subnet_nat_gateway - Creates private subnets with NAT Gateway in AWS.
- tf_aws_rds - Creates RDS resources on AWS.
- terraform-aws-security-group - Creates EC2-VPC security groups on AWS.
- tf_aws_ubuntu_ami - Easy way to lookup Ubuntu AMIs with Terraform.
- terraform-aws-vpc - Creates VPC resources on AWS.
- tf_aws_vpc_only - Provides only VPC (without subnets) in AWS.
Private Module Registries
- anthology - A private Terraform registry implementation as an alternative to the official registry.
- citizen - A Private Terraform Module Registry
- terraform-simple-registry - A simple implementation of the Terraform registry protocols.
- terraform-prodiver-linode - A terraform plugin for linode
- terraform-provider-pingdom - Terraform provider to manage pingdom resources.
- kitchen-terraform - Provides a set of Test Kitchen plugins which enable a system to use Test Kitchen to converge a Terraform configuration and verify the resulting Terraform state with InSpec controls.
- rspec-terraform - RSpec tests for your Terraform modules
- terraform-compliance - BDD Testing for Terraform Files.
- terraform_validate - Assists in the enforcement of user-defined standards in Terraform.
- terratest - Terratest is a Go library that makes it easier to write automated tests for your infrastructure code
- astro - Astro is a tool for managing multiple Terraform executions as a single command.
- atlantis - Unified workflow for collaborating on Terraform through GitHub.
- blast radius - Interactive visualizations of Terraform dependency graphs.
- ruby-terraform - A simple Ruby wrapper for invoking terraform commands.
- terraboard - A web dashboard to inspect Terraform States
- terraboot - DSL to generate a terraform configuration and run it.
- terraform-docs - Quick utility to generate docs from terraform modules.
- terraform-landscape - Improve Terraform's plan output to be easier to read and understand.
- terraform-provisioner - Tool for managing multiple provisions of the same Terraform scripts.
- terraform.py - Ansible dynamic inventory script for parsing Terraform state files.
- terragrunt - Terragrunt is a thin wrapper for Terraform that supports locking for Terraform state and enforces best practices.
- terrascan - Collection of security and best practice test for static code analysis of terraform templates
- tfenv - Terraform version manager inspired by rbenv.
- tfjson - A utility to read in a Terraform plan file and dump it out in JSON
- tflint - Terraform linter for detecting errors that can not be detected by
- tfschema - A schema inspector for Terraform providers.
- tfwrapper - Rubygem providing rake tasks for running Hashicorp Terraform sanely
- tgf - Terragrunt frontend for executing Terragrunt/Terraform through Docker.
- terraform-enterprise-cli - Terraform Enterprise Command Line Interface
- terraform-enterprise-client - Terraform Enterprise API Ruby Client and Command Line tool
- terraform-enterprise-migrator - Script for migrating Terraform Enterprise environments from Legacy to new version of Terraform Enterprise
- tfe-state-explorer - Simple shell for exploring remote terraform enterprise state, with autocomplete.
- Orchestrating Containers with Terraform and Consul - Mitchell Hashimoto shows how Terraform can be used to deploy and scale containerized workloads.
- Building Scalable, Repeatable Infrastructure in the Cloud with Terraform - Demonstrates how Terraform enables the practice of Infrastructure as Code by deploying TeamCity in AWS using a hosted PostgreSQL.
- Evolving Your Infrastructure with Terraform - CTO of OpenCredo provides an extensive look at using Terraform in the real-world with the help of some interesting use-cases.
- Going Multi-Cloud with Terraform and Nomad
- Running a Terraform Environment at Scale - Running Terraform at scale with hundreds of AWS accounts.
- Terraforming the Composable World - Integrating Terraform with an on-premise bare metal provisioning.
- State of Terraform Providerland - How Terraform providers work and how to write one.
- Untangling Terraform Through Refactoring - How to refactor your Terraform code in a careful way with minimum risk.
- Terraform At Scale - How Segment uses Terraform.
- Production ChaosMonkey with Terraform - How DigitalOcean uses Terraform to run production integration tests.
- Terraform w/ Lee Trout - Focuses on development patterns and how to effectively structure Terraform code.
- Webinar: Multi-Cloud, One Command with Terraform - Provisioning hybrid cloud infrastructure using Terraform.
- How to Build Reusable, Composable, Battle tested Terraform Modules - Yevgeniy Brikman talks about how to write Terraform code so that it is reusable, composable and testable. The presentation focuses on Terraform modules, but also provides a brief and clear explanation of what problem Terraform was created to solve and a short demo of Terraform basics (~39 min, October 2017)
To the extent possible under law, Shuaib Yunus has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.