a kinder, gentler machine vision python library
SimpleCV is an interface for Open Source machine vision libraries in Python.
It provides a consise, readable interface for cameras, image manipulation, feature extraction, and format conversion. Our mission is to give casual users a comprehensive interface for basic machine vision functions and an elegant programming interface for advanced users.
We like SimpleCV because:
- Even beginning programmers can write simple machine vision tests
- Cameras, video files, images, and video streams are all interoperable
- Information on image features can be extracted, sorted and filtered easily
- Manipulations are fast, with easy to remember names
- Linear algebra is strictly optional
Here is the simplecv "hello world":
import SimpleCV c = SimpleCV.Camera() c.getImage().save("picture.jpg")
For more code snippets, we recommend the cookbook or looking at our example scripts
You will absolutely need:
- OpenCV installed for your platform http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/Instal lGuide
- SciPY/Numpy installed for your platform http://www.scipy.org/Download
- Python Imaging Library is optional, but highly recommended http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
Once you have all the required libraries installed::
If you need more help, look at the installation docs
- Python Image Library http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
- OpenKinect/freenect http://openkinect.org/wiki/Main_Page
If you have all the required libraries installed::
sudo python setup.py install
If you need more help, look at docs/installation.rst
Examples are in the SimpleCV/examples directory, you can also look at docs/cookbook.rst for reusable code snippets.