Nearly 600 changes, including:
- New packages include: letter spacing, multiple line spacing methods, Japanese Ruby, font specimen generator, crop marks, font fallback, set PDF background color.
- Fixed handling of font weight and style.
- Hyphenation: Correct hyphenation of Indic scripts, words with non-alphabetic characters in them, and allow setting hyphen character and defining hyphenation exceptions.
- Relative dimensions ("1.2em") are converted to absolute dimensions at point of use, not point of declaration. So you can set linespacing to 1.2em, change font size, and it'll still work.
- Default paper size to A4.
- Changes to semantics of percent-of-page and percent-of-frame length specifications. (
- Much improved handling of footnotes, especially in multicolumn layouts.
- Support for: the libthai line breaking library, color fonts, querying the system font library on OS X, multiple Amharic justification conventions.
- Added explicit kern nodes.
- Changed to using Harfbuzz for the text processing pipeline; much faster, and much more accurate text shaping.
- Rewritten and more accurate bidirectional handling.
- Removed dependency on FreeType; use Harfbuzz for font metrics.
- Fixed the definition of an em. (It's not the width of a letter "m".)
and much more besides.