Redshift Plasmoid provide a graphical configuration interface to redshift and it allows to start/stop the redshift daemon. The program automatically retrieves the user coordinates from the KDE settings, permitting redshift to determine the current position of the sun, needed to perform the color regulation.
The program extends the original redshift with the following extra features:
KDE activities support A different behavior of redshift can be set for different activities. The possible behaviors are: Always On, Always Off or Auto. As an example redshift can be automatically turned off when the user switches to the movie activity, so that the movie can be seen without altering the original colors.
Manual color adjustment Sometimes the color temperature set does not match the current environmental light. It can happen when we are in a different location, where there are different types of light, or when there is a gloomy day and the sunlight is not very bright. In these cases it is possible to manually adjust the color temperature by spinning the mouse wheel over the widget. The program will then switch to Manual Mode and won’t adjust the temperature automatically, but will keep the current. To exit Manual Mode you just click on the widget.
Plasma 5 porting
I'm currently working on a port of the plasmoid for Plasma 5. This version of the plasmoid can be tested
by checking out the branch
This version is basically complete, beside a crash that I was not able to solve, also due to lack of time. Hopefully I'll get back to work on it sooner or later.
From redshift root directory execute:
mkdir build cd build cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$(kde4-config --prefix) .. make sudo make install
To start using the plasmoid reboot you machine or run the following command:
- KDE SC 4.x
- Essential build tools (gcc, cmake, and so on)
Required packages for Debian like distributions:
If make fails to build because it try to build it against Qt5, try:
cmake -DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/qmake-qt4 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$(kde4-config --prefix) ..)
If your distribution doesn't use bash as default shell, try:
su -c 'make install'
How to use
- Click on the redshift widget to toggle the screen color regulation on/off. When in Manual mode clicking brings redshift back in Auto mode.
- Scroll the mouse wheel over the redshift widget to switch to Manual Mode and keep the screen color temperature constant throughout the day.
- General configuration page The general redshift parameters can be set from this page. A tooltip explains each parameter.
- Activities configuration page
In this page a different behavior of redshift can be set for each kde activity. The possible behaviors are:
- Auto Redshift can be turned on/off
- Always on Redshift is active and can't be turned off
- Always off Redshift is inactive and can't be turned on
- Shortcut configuration page In this page it's possible to set a global keyboard shortcut to toggle redshift on/off.
Here are some useful notes about Author
Simone Gaiarin <simgunz AT gmail DOT com>
Software distributed under the GNU General Public License version 3 (GNU GPL v3).
- [Official project page] (http://simgunz.org/projects/redshift-plasmoid/)
- [Kde-apps page] (http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Redshift+Plasmoid?content=148737)
- [Github page] (https://github.com/simgunz/redshift-plasmoid)
- [Official project page] (http://jonls.dk/redshift/)