Browser extension that simplifies the GitHub interface and adds useful features
We use GitHub a lot and notice many annoyances we'd like to fix. So here be dragons.
Our hope is that GitHub will notice and implement some of these much needed improvements. So if you like any of these improvements, please email GitHub support about doing it.
GitHub Enterprise is also supported. More info in the options.
- Latest changes (Updated regularly. Subscribe!)
- Product Hunt submission (2017-07-08)
- What's new lately (2017-06-23)
- Original announcement (2016-03-31)
- Chrome extension
- Firefox add-on
- Opera extension: Use this Opera extension to install the Chrome version.
Mark issues and pull requests as unread
(They will reappear in Notifications)
No more jumps caused by recently pushed branches
(They are moved to the side)
|Reaction avatars showing who reacted to a comment||The option to wait for checks when merging a PR|
|Clickable references to issues and pull requests||Links to an issue's closing commit or pull request|
- Toggle all outdated PR comments or PR/commit files with alt click.
- Copy the canonical link of a file with the y hotkey.
- Indent text with tab inside comment fields (shift tab for original behavior).
- Use the pull request title as the commit title when merging with
Squash and merge.
- View linked gists inline in comments.
- Avoid opening duplicate issues thanks to the list of possibly-related issues.
- Use the pull request description as the commit message when merging with
Squash and merge.
- Click on branch references in pull requests.
- Quickly edit a repository's README from the repository root.
- Quickly delete a forked repo after its pull request has been merged.
- Quickly delete a file from pull requests.
- Open all your notifications at once.
- Open selection in new tab with shift o when navigating via j and k.
- Easily toggle whitespace visibility in diffs. (d w hotkey)
- Copy a file's content.
- Copy the path of a PR file.
- Quickly access a commit's
- Browse a repository at the time of each comment.
- Visit a user's public gists from their profile.
- Jump to the bottom of a discussion page with a click.
Your repositoriesfrom the profile dropdown.
- Download entire folders from repositories using the
Download folderbutton. (Uses download-directory.github.io.)
- Collapse or expand a repository's browser file list.
- Quickly visit a repository's default branch and latest version tag.
- Open multiple issues at once in your repos.
More info at a glance
- Full names of comment authors are shown next to their username.
- File headers are always visible.
- Issue listing header is always visible.
- Merge commits are dimmed in commits list.
- The comments of who opened an issue/PR are marked with
- Repo URLs are shortened to readable references like "_user/repo/.file@
- The current repository's build/CI status is always visible next to its name.
- Review counts are shown and colored in PR lists.
- All available keyboard shortcuts are shown in the help modal. (? hotkey)
- Followers you know are shown on profile pages.
- Newsfeed events take up less space.
- Stars on your repos and some other useless events (commits, forks, new followers) are hidden.
- The file hover effect in the repo file browser is removed.
- Unnecessary buttons in the comment box toolbar are hidden (each one has a keyboard shortcut).
- Obvious tooltips are removed.
Projectsrepository tab is hidden when there are no projects
- New projects can still be created via the
- New projects can still be created via the
- Tabs in code are shown as 4 spaces instead of 8 spaces.
- Labels are moved to the left of issue and pull request lists.
- Approve or reject reviews faster with one-click review type buttons.
Cancelon an inline comment opens a prompt to prevent accidental cancelling.
-signs in diffs are made unselectable for easier copy-pasting.
- The news feeds automagically expands when you scroll down.
- The default sort order of milestones is changed to
Closest due date.
- The default sort order of issues and pull requests is changed to
Expand diffbutton is widened.
- Dropdown menus are automatically closed when they’re no longer visible.
- Permalinked comments are highlighted.
- Inactive deployments in PR timelines are hidden.
And many more…
- Access a repository's releases using the
Releasestab or by pressing g r.
- Create a new release on the Releases tab by pressing c.
- Compare a repository's branches with the
- Access the
Milestonesnavigation from individual milestone pages.
- Search for issues and PRs with the
Everything commented by youfilter.
- See just the issues and PRs on your repos or commented on by you in the global
- Access trending repositories using the
Trendinglink in the global navbar or by pressing g t.
- Leave a single comment in pull request diffs instead of starting a review by pressing shift enter.
- Quickly edit your last comment using the ↑ shortcut.
- Visit your profile by pressing g m.
- Cycle through PR tabs by pressing g ← and g →, or g 1, g 2, g 3 and g 4.
- Go to the next or previous commit from the bottom of the commit page
Previously part of Refined GitHub
Blame parent commits in blame view.- Implemented by GitHub Collapse/expand files in a PR diff.- Implemented by GitHub Preview a issue/PR reference's title in comments.- Implemented by GitHub The dashboard organization switcher is moved to the right column.- Implemented by GitHub
We're happy to receive suggestions and contributions, but be aware this is a highly opinionated project. There's a very high bar for adding options. Users will always disagree with something. That being said, we're open to discussing things. If something doesn't make the cut, you can build your customized Refined GitHub locally, rather than installing it from the Chrome Store.
- Awesome browser extensions for GitHub - Awesome list
- Octo Linker - Navigate across files and packages
- Notifier for GitHub - Shows your notification unread count
- Do Not Merge WIP for GitHub - Prevents merging of incomplete PRs
- Contributors on GitHub - Shows stats about contributors
- Hide Files on GitHub - Hides dotfiles from the file browser
- Twitter for GitHub - Shows a user's Twitter handle on their profile page
- OctoEdit - Markdown syntax highlighting in comments
- GitHub Custom Tab Size - Set custom tab size for code views (Refined GitHub hard-codes it to 4)
- Show All GitHub Issues - Shows both Issues and Pull Requests in the Issues tab
- Notifications Preview for GitHub - See your notifications on hover on all pages
- Refined Twitter - Improves Twitter
- GitHub Issue Link Status - Colorize issue and PR links to see their status (open, closed, merged)
- GitHub Follow - Follow file renames on GitHub
Want more? Here are some ideas you could develop!