Browser extension that simplifies the GitHub interface and adds useful features
We use GitHub a lot and notice many annoyances we'd like to fix. So here be dragons.
Our hope is that GitHub will notice and implement some of these much needed improvements. So if you like any of these improvements, please email GitHub support about doing it.
GitHub Enterprise is also supported. More info in the options.
- Latest changes (Updated regularly. Subscribe!)
- Product Hunt submission (2017-07-08)
- What's new lately (2017-06-23)
- Original announcement (2016-03-31)
- Chrome extension
- Firefox add-on
- Opera extension: Use this Opera extension to install the Chrome version.
Mark issues and pull requests as unread
(They will reappear in Notifications)
No more jumps caused by recently pushed branches
(They are moved to the side)
|Reaction avatars showing who reacted to a comment||The option to wait for checks when merging a PR|
|Clickable references to issues and pull requests||Links to an issue's closing commit or pull request|
- Copy the canonical link of a file with the y hotkey.
- Indent text with tab inside comment fields (shift tab for original behavior).
- Use the pull request title as the commit title when merging with
Squash and merge.
- View linked gists inline in comments.
- Avoid opening duplicate issues thanks to the list of possibly-related issues.
- Use the pull request description as the commit message when merging with
Squash and merge..
- Access related pages on 404 pages.
- Click on branch references in pull requests.
- Quickly delete a forked repo after its pull request has been merged.
- Open all your notifications at once.
- Open selection in new tab with shift o when navigating via j and k.
- Easily toggle whitespace visibility in diffs. (d w hotkey)
- Copy a file's content.
- Copy the path of a PR file.
- Quickly access a commit's
- Navigate from PR commit to raw commit by clicking the commit hash.
- Browse a repository at the time of each comment.
- Visit a user's public gists from their profile.
- Jump to the bottom of a discussion page with a click.
- Download entire folders from repositories using the
Download folderbutton. (Uses download-directory.github.io.)
- Collapse or expand a repository's browser file list.
- Quickly visit a repository's default branch and latest version tag.
- Open multiple issues at once in your repos.
- Swap branches in the branch compare view.
More info at a glance
- Full names of comment authors are shown next to their username.
- File headers are always visible.
- Issue listing header is always visible.
- Merge commits are dimmed in commits list.
- The comments of who opened an issue/PR are marked with
- Repo URLs are shortened to readable references like "_user/repo/.file@
- The current repository's build/CI status is always visible next to its name.
- Review counts are shown and colored in PR lists.
- All available keyboard shortcuts are shown in the help modal. (? hotkey)
- Followers you know are shown on profile pages.
- Private organizations are marked when viewing your own profile.
- Badge on user's profile if they follow you.
- Newsfeed events take up less space.
- Stars on your repos and some other useless events (commits, forks, new followers) are hidden.
- The file hover effect in the repo file browser is removed.
- Unnecessary buttons in the comment box toolbar are hidden (each one has a keyboard shortcut).
- Obvious tooltips are removed.
Projectsrepository tab is hidden when there are no projects
- New projects can still be created via the
- New projects can still be created via the
- The autocomplete on the issue search field is removed.
- Forks are hidden from a user's Repositories list (but they can still be shown)
- Reaction comments ("+1", "
👍", …) are hidden (except the maintainers') but they can still be shown.
- Tabs in code are shown as 4 spaces instead of 8 spaces.
- Labels are moved to the left of issue and pull request lists.
- Approve or reject reviews faster with one-click review type buttons.
- The news feeds and contribution activities automagically expand when you scroll down.
- The default sort order of milestones is changed to
Closest due date.
- The default sort order of issues and pull requests is changed to
Expand diffbutton is widened.
- Dropdown menus are automatically closed when they’re no longer visible.
- Inactive deployments in PR timelines are hidden.
And many more…
- Access a repository's releases using the
Releasestab or by pressing g r.
- Create a new release on the Releases tab by pressing c.
- Compare a repository's branches with the
- Access the
Milestonesnavigation from individual milestone pages.
- Search for issues and PRs with the
Everything commented by youfilter.
- See just the issues and PRs on your repos or commented on by you in the global
- Access trending repositories using the
Trendinglink in the global navbar or by pressing g t.
- Quickly edit your last comment using the ↑ shortcut.
- Visit your profile by pressing g m.
- Cycle through PR tabs by pressing g ← and g →, or g 1, g 2, g 3 and g 4.
- Go to the next or previous commit from the bottom of the commit page.
- Hide comments in fewer clicks.
- Filter PRs that you haven't submitted a review for.
- Use ← and → to navigate through pages with pagination.
Previously part of Refined GitHub
- Implemented by GitHub: Blame parent commits in blame view.
- Implemented by GitHub: Collapse/expand files in a PR diff.
- Implemented by GitHub: Preview a issue/PR reference's title in comments.
- Implemented by GitHub: The dashboard organization switcher is moved to the right column.
- Implemented by GitHub: Quickly edit a repository's README from the repository root.
- Implemented by GitHub: Access
Your repositoriesfrom the profile dropdown.
- Implemented by GitHub: Permalinked comments are highlighted.
- Implemented by GitHub: Leave a single comment in pull request diffs instead of starting a review by pressing shift enter.
- Implemented by GitHub: Quickly delete a file from pull requests.
- Implemented by GitHub: Pressing
Cancelon an inline comment opens a prompt to prevent accidental cancelling.
- Implemented by GitHub: The
-signs in diffs are made unselectable for easier copy-pasting.
- Implemented by GitHub: Toggle all outdated PR comments or PR/commit files with alt click.
We're happy to receive suggestions and contributions, but be aware this is a highly opinionated project. There's a very high bar for adding options. Users will always disagree with something. That being said, we're open to discussing things. If something doesn't make the cut, you can build your customized Refined GitHub locally, rather than installing it from the Chrome Store.
- Awesome browser extensions for GitHub - Awesome list
- Octo Linker - Navigate across files and packages
- Notifier for GitHub - Shows your notification unread count
- Do Not Merge WIP for GitHub - Prevents merging of incomplete PRs
- Contributors on GitHub - Shows stats about contributors
- Hide Files on GitHub - Hides dotfiles from the file browser
- Twitter for GitHub - Shows a user's Twitter handle on their profile page
- OctoEdit - Markdown syntax highlighting in comments
- GitHub Custom Tab Size - Set custom tab size for code views (Refined GitHub hard-codes it to 4)
- Show All GitHub Issues - Shows both Issues and Pull Requests in the Issues tab
- Notifications Preview for GitHub - See your notifications on hover on all pages
- Refined Twitter - Improves Twitter
- GitHub Issue Link Status - Colorize issue and PR links to see their status (open, closed, merged)
- GitHub Follow - Follow file renames on GitHub
- Friendly GitHub - Make GitHub more social
- Sourcegraph - Adds code intelligence to GitHub
Want more? Here are some ideas you could develop!