Browser extension that simplifies the Twitter interface and adds useful features
We use Twitter a lot and notice many dumb annoyances we'd like to fix. So here be dragons.
- Chrome extension
- Opera extension: Use this to enable installing Chrome extensions and then install Refined Twitter
Note: You must be logged in for this extension to work.
You can configure many of these features in the extension settings.
- Simplified and improved UI.
- Hides promoted tweets.
- Auto-loads new tweets in the stream if you're scrolled to the top. No more clicking
See 3 new Tweets!
- Fixes the file extension when saving images in tweets. No more
- Uses the system font.
- Embeds the photo from Instagram links directly in the tweet.
- Improves performance. 1 2
- Hides "Liked" tweets in the stream.
- Hides "And others follow" tweets in the stream.
- Syntax highlighting in code blocks.
- Adds Markdown-like styling of
text wrapped in backticks.
- Uses the original image in tweet image galleries instead of a downsized version.
- Removes the annoying suggestions in the search popover.
- Hides "Notifications" activity for new followers and being added to a list.
- Preserves unsent text in the Messages modal when it closes.
- Highlight your mentions in the stream.
- Adds a
Likesbutton to the main navbar.
- Keyboard shortcut to toggle Night Mode (Altm).
- Uses your personal color theme on all profiles.
- Hides the header image on profile pages.
- Shows alternative image text below images when available.
Tip: Twitter has a native dark mode and you can toggle it using Altm. And press Shift ? to see all keyboard shortcuts.
See the extension settings for what can be configured.
We're happy to receive suggestions and contributions, but be aware this is an opinionated project. There's a high bar for adding options.
This doesn't necessarily limit you from manually disabling functionality that is not useful for you. Options include:
Clone the repository, make the adjustments you need, and load the unpacked extension in Chrome, rather than installing from the Chrome Store.
Suggestions and pull requests are highly encouraged!
In order to make modifications to the extension you'd need to run it locally.
Please follow the below steps:
git clone https://github.com/sindresorhus/refined-twitter cd refined-twitter npm install # Install dev dependencies npm run build # Build the extension code so it's ready for the browser npm run watch # Listen for file changes and automatically rebuild
Once built, load it in the browser of your choice:
Don't you have another extension with the same name?
This is reusing the name from the original Refined Twitter extension, which tried to use the mobile Twitter version on the desktop. It was a good idea in theory, but not in practice. This extension instead improves upon the desktop version of Twitter.
Will this extension work if I'm not logged in?
- Refined GitHub - GitHub version of this extension