There is a whole world of foods that are similar, but aren't exactly tacos. This directory is dedicated to them.
From @maxogden's gist: tacos are a category of food that are relatively small in size and are served on a open platform of thin carbohydrate filled material. things that make you want to sleep after eating or are sealed off when served are not tacos (see instead: burritos, pizza)
- peking duck which is usually served with mushu pancakes
- gua bao
- falafel and pita
- arepas - note: omit top half when serving for proper taco categorization
- really small pizzas - if you make large pizzas they make you want to go to sleep after eating one which breaks the first rule of tacos
- injera - make sure to subdivide into smaller diameter pieces
- small crepes - again the key is the size. also what is the different between a blintz and a crepe?
- sushi - as long as it is not served in complete rolls sushi is a taco. when served in rolls it is known as a sushirrito
- sopes and other antojitos
- tacos tacos are tacos as long as they 1) come from trucks in oakland or 2) are made by hand in front of you from masa flour
- hot dogs - not thin enough
- doner kebab - too heavy