This is the Octopress install that powers lumenlog.com. It's mostly just straight out-of-the box, with one plugin (footnotes.rb) thrown in for good measure. And a custom theme. And a very trivial new task in the rakefile.
Using the theme (some info dump)
- Clone or download this folder and place it in .themes/ of your Octopress instance
- Run rake install[octolog], this copies the theme files and folders to /sass and /source
General usage salutes
- The themes recognizes link posts by the external-url parameter in the header part of the post. You should also put them in a "Links" category... ;) If you also use my rakefile, you will be able to create new link posts with rake new_link['Title','URL'] My Rakefile uses Byword as the default editor; you can change that at the top of the rakefile under editor_path.
- A via link can be included with the via parameter in the YAML front matter(1). My Rakefile does this for you as well. Via links need to be written in HTML, not Markdown.
- If you want those cute small images next to articles, you need to place save them in /images/title-images in PNG. To specify which image should be used, you can use the title-img parameter in the YAML front matter for your post.
- Sub titles for your articles (not the link posts) can be specified using the sub-title argument in the front matter.
- My rakefile does most of the above for you, so don't sweat it. :)
- I have left my Typekit code in _includes/custom/header-custom.html for purely aesthetic reasons. Please replace it with your own as soon as possible. To do that, you need to get a free Typekit account and place the code in _includes/custom/header-custom.html. Here are two screenshots of my Typekit config. 1 2
- You probably want to customise the bottom.html, the about page and the impressum, if you're unlucky enough to need one.
- The apple-touch-icon is also mine, you probably want to overwrite it.
- Disqus comment code feels at home in _layouts/post.html
Have fun blogging! If you have any questions, hit me up on Twitter.
(1) that's the part of your post between the --- lines.
Some things this theme doesn't do (yet)
- Displaying code nicely
- Make you rich and successful
What is Octopress?
Octopress is Jekyll blogging at its finest.
- Octopress sports a clean responsive theme written in semantic HTML5, focused on readability and friendliness toward mobile devices.
- Code blogging is easy and beautiful. Embed code (with Solarized styling) in your posts from gists, jsFiddle or from your filesystem.
- Third party integration is simple with built-in support for Twitter, Pinboard, Delicious, GitHub Repositories, Disqus Comments and Google Analytics.
- It's easy to use. A collection of rake tasks simplifies development and makes deploying a cinch.
- Ships with great plug-ins some original and others from the Jekyll community — tested and improved.
Check out Octopress.org for guides and documentation.
We love to see people contributing to Octopress, whether it's a bug report, feature suggestion or a pull request. At the moment, we try to keep the core slick and lean, focusing on basic blogging needs, so some of your suggestions might not find their way into Octopress. For those ideas, we started a list of 3rd party plug-ins, where you can link your own Octopress plug-in repositories. For the future, we're thinking about ways to easier add them them into our main releases.
(The MIT License)
Copyright © 2009-2011 Brandon Mathis
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the ‘Software’), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
If you want to be awesome.
- Proudly display the 'Powered by Octopress' credit in the footer.
- Add your site to the Wiki so we can watch the community grow.