brew install commands for our favorite formulas
These are our team's [
brew install](brew install) commands that we use to set up a typical MacBook macOS computer.
If you're looking for a Brewfile, see our Brewfile
Simple scripts that install a lot of common software:
brew-install-our-basics-automatically.sh: good for everyone
brew-install-our-basics-with-prompts.sh: good for everyone, and pauses for prompts.
brew-install-our-stacks-automatically.sh: good for programmers
brew-install-our-stacks-with-prompts.sh: good for programmers, and pauses for prompts.
brew-install-our-fonts.sh: good for designers
The scripts that install stacks have much larger downloads, and also longer installations, because the stacks include programming languages, databases, servers, developer tools, and more.
Before you begin, you may want to install two large Mac applications, that other applications depend upon.
- Install XCode: go the Mac app store and choose XCode.
- Install XQuartz: https://xquartz.macosforge.org
To run the scripts:
- Option 1: clone the repo, then use your shell to run any of the scripts.
- Option 2: simply view the raw text of any of the scripts, and copy/paste into your shell.
More about brew pacakges
To learn what a formula does, visit the brew formulas site:
To learn what a specific formula does, there's a URL for each formula, such as:
- Package: sixarm_brew_install
- Version: 7.22.0
- Created: 2015-04-13
- Updated: 2017-02-10
- License: GPL
- Contact: Joel Parker Henderson (email@example.com)