NGHam, short for Next Generation Ham Radio, is a set of protocols for packet radio communication. Its usage is similar to the existing AX.25 protocol. The standard covers three sub-protocols:
- NGHam radio protocol
- NGHam serial port protocol (comparable with KISS for AX.25)
- NGHam extensions - a modular extension using the payload for addressing, position, voice, statistics etc.
- Very robust: Allows decoding with lower SNR compared to 1200 baud AFSK AX.25 due to the use of a sync word with good autocorrelation properties and Reed Solomon FEC over the whole remaining packet.
- High throughput: As the sync word eliminates the need for a long preamble and FEC increases chance of successful packet reception, the throughput will be higher than for 9600 baud AX.25.
- Better spectral efficiency: Significantly better spectral efficiency than 1200 baud AFSK, and somewhat better than 9600 baud G3RUH modulation due to the reduced deviation.
- More efficient channel access: CSMA is the default access method, but TDMA with automatic time-synchronization is being developed and is tested.
- Clear distinction between communication layers: The NGHam radio protocol has no addressing or other higher level information, and can be used without NGHam Extension.
|fec-3.0.1/||FEC library by Phil Karn for Reed Solomon. (http://www.ka9q.net/code/fec/)|
|platform/||User provided - MUST BE CUSTOMIZED.|
|ccsds_scrambler.h||Pre-generated array from scrambling polynomial.|
|crc_ccitt.h||CRC-code used in NGHam.|
|ngham.h||The main NGHam encoder/decoder functions.|
|ngham_packets.h||Declarations of the TX/RX packet structs etc.|
|ngham_paths.h||User provided - MUST BE CUSTOMIZED.|
|ngham_spp.h||Serial port protocol for communication with the host.|
|ngham_extension.h||An extension of the payload field in the NGHam radio protocol (enabled by a flag in the NGHam header).|
Usage (for NGHam RF protocol):
- Provide your own sync word correlator and GMSK (de)modulator.
- The demodulator should start outputting data only after sync word is detected.
- Build all files in the root except "ngham_spp.c". From the folder "fec-3.0.1", build "decode_rs_char.c", "encode_rs_char.c" and "init_rs_char.c".
- "ngham_paths.h" and the code in "platform/" must be customized.
// Initialize Reed Solomon arrays - only do this once! ngham_init_arrays(); // Initialize state machine ngham_init(); // Send a packet containing the payload "TEST" tx_pkt_t p; p.pl = 'T'; p.pl = 'E'; p.pl = 'S'; p.pl = 'T'; p.pl_len = 4; p.ngham_flags = 0; ngham_encode(&p); // Receive packet. If a complete packet is received, function ngham_action_handle_packet will be called. while (demodulator_data_available()) ngham_decode(get_byte_from_demodulator());
-- Jon Petter Skagmo, LA3JPA, 2014