Skeema is a tool for managing MySQL tables and schema changes. It provides a CLI tool allowing you to:
- Export CREATE TABLE statements to the filesystem, for tracking in a repo (git, hg, svn, etc)
- Diff changes in the schema repo against live DBs to automatically generate DDL
- Manage multiple environments (dev, staging, prod) and keep them in sync with ease
- Configure use of online schema change tools, such as pt-online-schema-change, for performing ALTERs
- Convert non-online migrations from Rails, Django, etc into online schema changes in production
Skeema supports a pull-request-based workflow for schema change submission, review, and execution. This permits your team to manage schema changes in exactly the same way as you manage code changes.
skeema binaries for Linux and macOS will be supplied later in Q2, once a formal release occurs. Stay tuned!
Requires the Go programming language toolchain. Go version 1.6 or later is needed in order to properly use vendored dependencies.
To download, build, and install Skeema, run:
go get github.com/skeema/skeema
- Getting started: usage examples and screencasts
- Recommended workflow
- Configuration how-to
- Options reference
- Frequently asked questions
Skeema is currently in public beta.
skeema binary is supported on macOS and Linux. For now, it cannot be compiled on Windows. On the database side, testing has primarily been performed against MySQL 5.6, running on Linux.
Several InnoDB features (compression, partitioning, etc) and rare/new MySQL column types are not yet supported. Skeema is able to create or drop tables using these features, but not alter them. The output of
skeema diff and
skeema push clearly displays when this is the case. You may still make such alters directly/manually (outside of Skeema), and then update the corresponding CREATE TABLE files via
Copyright 2018 Skeema LLC
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.