Please sign in to comment.
i965: Rewrite the HiZ op
The HiZ op was implemented as a meta-op. This patch reimplements it by emitting a special HiZ batch. This fixes several known bugs, and likely a lot of undiscovered ones too. ==== Why the HiZ meta-op needed to die ==== The HiZ op was implemented as a meta-op, which caused lots of trouble. All other meta-ops occur as a result of some GL call (for example, glClear and glGenerateMipmap), but the HiZ meta-op was special. It was called in places that Mesa (in particular, the vbo and swrast modules) did not expect---and were not prepared for---state changes to occur (for example: glDraw; glCallList; within glBegin/End blocks; and within swrast_prepare_render as a result of intel_miptree_map). In an attempt to work around these unexpected state changes, I added two hooks in i965: - A hook for glDraw, located in brw_predraw_resolve_buffers (which is called in the glDraw path). This hook detected if a predraw resolve meta-op had occurred, and would hackishly repropagate some GL state if necessary. This ensured that the meta-op state changes would not intefere with the vbo module's subsequent execution of glDraw. - A hook for glBegin, implemented by brwPrepareExecBegin. This hook resolved all buffers before entering a glBegin/End block, thus preventing an infinitely recurring call to vbo_exec_FlushVertices. The vbo module calls vbo_exec_FlushVertices to flush its vertex queue in response to GL state changes. Unfortunately, these hooks were not sufficient. The meta-op state changes still interacted badly with glPopAttrib (as discovered in bug 44927) and with swrast rendering (as discovered by debugging gen6's swrast fallback for glBitmap). I expect there are more undiscovered bugs. Rather than play whack-a-mole in a minefield, the sane approach is to replace the HiZ meta-op with something safer. ==== How it was killed ==== This patch consists of several logical components: 1. Rewrite the HiZ op by replacing function gen6_resolve_slice with gen6_hiz_exec and gen7_hiz_exec. The new functions do not call a meta-op, but instead manually construct and emit a batch to "draw" the HiZ op's rectangle primitive. The new functions alter no GL state. 2. Add fields to brw_context::hiz for the new HiZ op. 3. Emit a workaround flush when toggling 3DSTATE_VS.VsFunctionEnable. 4. Kill all dead HiZ code: - the function gen6_resolve_slice - the dirty flag BRW_NEW_HIZ - the dead fields in brw_context::hiz - the state packet manipulation triggered by the now removed brw_context::hiz::op - the meta-op workaround in brw_predraw_resolve_buffers (discussed above) - the meta-op workaround brwPrepareExecBegin (discussed above) Note: This is a candidate for the 8.0 branch. Reviewed-by: Eric Anholt <email@example.com> Reviewed-by: Kenneth Graunke <firstname.lastname@example.org> Acked-by: Paul Berry <email@example.com> Bugzilla: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43327 Reported-by: firstname.lastname@example.org Bugzilla: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44927 Reported-by: email@example.com Signed-off-by: Chad Versace <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Loading branch information...
Showing with 1,146 additions and 517 deletions.
- +1 −0 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/Makefile.sources
- +0 −55 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/brw_context.c
- +11 −29 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/brw_context.h
- +4 −43 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/brw_draw.c
- +0 −1 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/brw_state_upload.c
- +12 −2 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/brw_vtbl.c
- +1 −19 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/gen6_clip_state.c
- +2 −7 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/gen6_depthstencil.c
- +553 −277 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/gen6_hiz.c
- +38 −0 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/gen6_hiz.h
- +3 −13 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/gen6_sf_state.c
- +9 −0 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/gen6_vs_state.c
- +1 −19 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/gen6_wm_state.c
- +1 −19 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/gen7_clip_state.c
- +463 −0 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/gen7_hiz.c
- +43 −0 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/gen7_hiz.h
- +4 −15 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/gen7_sf_state.c
- +0 −18 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/gen7_wm_state.c
- 0 src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/junk
Oops, something went wrong.