Rails stack, zero to hero in under five minutes
How to get your sprinkle on:
- Get a brand spanking new slice / host (Debian or Ubuntu please, other apt-based sytems might work too)
- Install sudo if you are on Debian
- Create yourself a user (use
adduser), add yourself to the /etc/sudoers file
- Set your host url|ip address and some fields with database in assets/settings.yml (settings.yml.example provided)
From your local system (from the passenger-stack directory), run:
sprinkle -c -s config/install.rb
After you've waited for everything to run, you should have a provisioned slice. Go forth and install your custom configurations, add vhosts and other VPS paraphernalia.
Wait, what does all this install?
- Ruby 1.9.2-p290 (Source) [includes rubygems]
- Nginx (APT)
- Passenger (Rubygem)
- MySQL (APT)
- Git (APT)
- Sprinkle (github.com/crafterm/sprinkle)
- An Ubuntu or Debian based VPS
Don't run this on a system that has already been deemed "in production", its not malicious, but there is a fair chance that you'll ass something up monumentally. You have been warned.