by Andreas Krennmair firstname.lastname@example.org
Newsbeuter is an RSS feed reader for the text console. Zed Shaw called it "The Mutt of Feed Readers".
It is designed to run on Unix-like operating systems such as GNU/Linux and FreeBSD. NetBSD is currently not supported, due to technical limitations.
You can download the latest version of newsbeuter from the following website: http://www.newsbeuter.org/
Alternatively, you can check out the latest version from the newsbeuter Git repository (hosted on GitHub):
git clone git://github.com/akrennmair/newsbeuter.git
Newsbeuter depends on a number of libraries, which need to be installed before newsbeuter can be compiled.
- GCC 4.9 or newer, or Clang 3.6 or newer
- STFL (version 0.21 or newer)
- SQLite3 (version 3.5 or newer)
- libcurl (version 7.18.0 or newer)
- GNU gettext (on systems that don't provide gettext in the libc): ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gettext/
- json-c (version 0.11 or newer)
Debian unstable comes with ready-to-use packages for these dependencies.
Compiling and installing newsbeuter is as simple as:
make make install
(And if you ever need to uninstall it, use
If you're a developer, here's how you can run the test suite:
make -j5 PROFILE=1 all test (cd test && TMPDIR=/dev/shm ./test --order rand)
Note the use of ramdisk as
TMPDIR: some of our tests require temporary files,
which degrades the performance quite a bit if
TMPDIR isn't in-memory.
Andreas Krennmair email@example.com
- Bugs and whatnot should be reported to the issue tracker
- Drop us a line at Newsbeuter mailing list
- Chat with developers and fellow users on #newsbeuter at Freenode
Newsbeuter is licensed under the MIT/X Consortium License. See the file LICENSE for further details.