django-better500s is a library that makes 500 errors more user-friendly, and developer friendly. It logs the full error traceback (as if it were in DEBUG mode), as well as a user's description of what they were trying to do.
Pull requests are quite welcome!
pip install django-better500s
INSTALLED_APPS += ("better500s",) MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES += ("better500s.middleware.Better500s",) # Set any optional settings (below) BETTER_500_DEFAULT_RETURN_URL_NAME = "home_page" BETTER_500_LOG_DIR = join(PROJECT_ROOT, 'logs', 'better_500') BETTER_500_FROM_EMAIL = "email@example.com" BETTER_500_TO_EMAILS = ["firstname.lastname@example.org",] BETTER_500_UNCAUGHT_DIR = "Uncaught Logs"
(optional) Add in the urls:
urlpatterns += patterns('', url(r'better500s/', include('better500s.urls', namespace="better500s", app_name='better500s') ), )
Enjoy better error reports.
BETTER_500_DEFAULT_RETURN_URL_NAME- The url name that the "Go Home" button should link to. If none, the button is hidden. Defaults to
BETTER_500_LOG_DIR- Where the full log traces should be stored. Defaults to
BETTER_500_FROM_EMAIL- The email that notifications should be sent from. Defaults to
BETTER_500_TO_EMAILS- The set of email that notifications should be sent to. Defaults to
BETTER_500_UNCAUGHT_DIR- Where to store log traces in which the 500 handling page crashed, or the user's browser crashed. Defaults to
BETTER_500_AJAX_URL- URL for ajax callback, that saves the log, and sends off an email. Defaults to
BETTER_500_POST_URL- URL for user crash report posting. Defaults to
How it works:
- 500 (only) caught
- Full debug page traceback is generated, saved to UNCAUGHT_DIR
- "We're sorry / Tell us what you were doing" page loads.
- On load, that page ajax pings the server.
- On ping, the view files the log into a date-organized folder, and emails the TO_EMAILs with a link
- If the user submits a report, that report is saved to the database, tied to the log file. A second email is sent, with the user's details.
- An admin can click the view link, and see the full traceback, and any user details.
Templates and Customization
500_handler.html feedback_saved.html view_error.html
Log storage, and backends
Uses default_backend, falls back to local system.